Collected thoughts on card design

I had one with Santander. Applied for an account with them and they said they can only offer the basic account due to me being brand new in the UK and had zero history here. Couldn’t be checked on any of the credit agencies.

Terrible account to have, and it was confusing having a ATM only card and a prepaid card for anything else.

1 Like

Fortunately, Santander have done away with that stupid system and their Basic Account now comes with just one debit card, although it’s not contactless.

There is quite a variation on what you get with a basic account. Co-op, Virgin and Nationwide are fully functional debit cards but many only give you an ATM card.

Or restrict the use of Apple Pay (Barclays).

Doesn’t make sense.

A quick question: Has anyone catalogued which banks have a differentiated debit card for Joint vs Sole accounts of the same type (e.g. a different colour)? Starling does this. Not sure whether others do as well?

PS. I am new, but this forum is brilliant. I never knew so many people were so interested in the nuts and bolts of fintech ideas and implementation. :grinning:

2 Likes

Not that I know of, I took for granted Monzo/Starling having different cards and now I’m with RBS it could become confusing at some point. :grimacing:

1 Like

Starling and Monzo for the banks.

Revolut and Monese for the e-money accounts (and these two Monese differentiates by user too, as well as between sole vs joint).

I think that’s it, sadly.

I love the Monese joint card design. Revolut doesn’t seem to distinguish between users for the physical cards.

1 Like

Didn’t even know there wasn’t physical cards until I just looked.

They are the same.

:joy:

That should be the physical card. I like things like that.

The blue/pink one?

Not even sure I have mine any more for my R account.

Any of em. All the colours are nice, but it’s the split infinity I like.

1 Like

For those that have HSBC accounts and upgraded to Advance or Premier, did they do a soft search or a hard search for it?

My graduate account turned into the basic account and might just upgrade it…

Standard current account to Premier - hard search, as they’re completely different products.

HSBC always run a hard check for any new product I’ve found

2 Likes

Even for currency account :expressionless: except saving and GMA

Does anyone have the Lloyds International Card or Lloyds International Premier Card?

Also the UK premier card?

@harrysj12341234 Yes, I’ve got the international premier account.

2 Likes

Can anyone recommend any good accounts for transacting in GBP and EUR?

In the sense that I need to be able to receive actual EUR’s in a EUR account and be able to send them and have standing orders etc.

Okay cool. I’m interested in the product but have a few questions which maybe you could help with?

1. Do you benefit from the product? I’ll be looking to use the account to pay and receive GBP and EUR.

2. Is the debit card GBP only?

3. How stringent were the bank regarding depositing funds? Did they ask to see proof? Did you deposit the requirement?

4. Any advice you could give regarding the product?

Thanks in advance! @eventhorizon