Closed account, I’m done

How is saying all lives should matter any different than saying black lives should matter too?

By saying all lives matter I wasn’t saying they already do and everything is perfect. It’s really not. But people should be treated equally.

Exactly. And they are not.

People have tried to explain it to you.

6 Likes

It’s only people, like you have above, who say “All Lives Matter” which seem to believe black lives matter at the expense of other lives not mattering.

I didn’t say at the expense - but black people aren’t the only ones experiencing serious discrimination. I think it needs addressing as a whole instead of focusing on only one culture/race.

1 Like

Glad to see this being discussed without veering into childish name calling.

One issue for many is the linking between issues of discrimination faced by the black community and the ideologies of BLM. I support action to tackle discrimination. I do not support BLM and their ideologies which has strayed beyond tackling discrimination.

I suspect there would be more support for what Monzo are doing if they made a clear distinction between supporting BLM and tackling racial discrimination. Opposing BLM does not mean you are opposed to the other.

2 Likes

No, but generally the way the argument is made is in a reductive sense - which aims to discredit the purpose of the “Black Lives Matter” statement. And I guess more importantly the “All Lives Matter” bit makes a platform available for people to do nothing about the systemic issues that exist today.

The point is that saying “all lives matter” as a response doesn’t help change the fact that Black people, and other groups, are discriminated against. It re-affirms the status quo - and becomes a “well there are other problems in the world so we shouldn’t try and tackle this one”. And yes, we should tackle this one, and other groups that are marginalised - they should all be solved.

Another analogy would be going to a Cancer charity fundraiser or similar, and telling the people there that “all diseases matter” and why should Cancer get funding? It misses the point that Cancer may require more funding right now.

So all in all that’s part of the problem. Saying All Lives Matter is reductionist and misses the point that “Black Lives Matter” is making.

6 Likes

Black Lives Matter.

2 Likes

The movement is Black Lives Matter, NOT ONLY Black Lives Matter. Get a grip.

3 Likes

I think the discussion is going quite a bit away from closing accounts. @Coral-Crew can you please split this out?

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

Well that escalated quickly :open_mouth:

1 Like

11 Likes