Chase Bank UK chat

Flex is a good product but it far from scratches that itch for me. It’s not a credit card in my eyes, and is a long way off from that. The goal is wide open for chase here to me, that it’s a potentially very easy win for them.

9 Likes

I’m the same. Flex is a bit too Monzo for me (with both its good and bad connotations) to use it regularly. I want a proper, real credit card from a bank with a modern approach to their tech. To be honest Amex is 99% there but I need a second one for those times it’s not accepted.

If the Chase CC would have some decent rewards, they’d take my full business away from Amex except for offer-related spending and card benefits.

5 Likes

I know we’ve kinda had this convo before, but with the automatic plan selection Flex really does everything I need it to do.

Sure, more polish and incremental improvements would be nice across the board. But it’s fine at an everyday card for me.

If there was an outstanding rewards credit card (that I could connect to Monzo) I might be tempted to have that too, but I think for a basic card it’s all good. For me at least!

Rewards aside, I’m not sure what else folk are asking for.

4 Likes

For me what’s missing are actually useful statements, and normal handling of pending transactions.

There are some other issues I think Flex needs to sort but if those were addressed I’d be happy.

2 Likes

That, for me, is the biggest issue with Flex.

I am currently in the process of booking a rental car for a long holiday in Greece, which will be a sizeable amount with a correspondingly sizeable deposit to be pre-authed. Now, it’s happened to me in the past that I had a dispute with a car rental company, which resulted in the pre-auth staying on my credit card for 2-3 months until that was resolved.
With Flex, this would mean I would have to pay the 900 Euros or whatever it turns out to be this year out of my own cash, if such a scenario happens again, not to mention that I would probably have to pay it anyway as my rental will be longer than 30 days.
A pre-auth that doesn’t affect my cash flow, doesn’t take out of my own cash and doesn’t charge me interest is what I want from Flex, same as I have with my other credit cards.

So I do think there is scope for a fintech credit card to come out and take up a solid market position. I wouldn’t be too excited about Chase purely because their app remains so so bad in terms of speed and showing the wrong data unless I refresh etc., but if their credit card had some sort of rewards it might swing me.

3 Likes

Pretty much the same for me, Flex is far more useful as a credit card than any other I have.

Chase will probably have a cash bribe which I would rinse just like I do with their debit card but I am struggling to see what they could do over Flex other than that. Even if they have BNPL its still catch up on flex unless its 6 months to a year.

Flex, for me, has nulled most of the interest I would have had in Jaja, starling and chase as it does everything I use with the ability to spread payments for free as well. For me, it is a very great credit card and I dont have to use the starling app or chase app which is nice.

3 Likes

It’s useful to see real world impacts. A few months ago I raised it as a hypothetical and was dismissed. I complained and was told it’s all fine, so I now have a case with the FOS and have asked the FCA for the regs around pending transactions, but I doubt they’ll get back to me.

It may be allowed, but it’s nonsensical and goes against industry standards and can negatively impact people in the short to medium term.

1 Like

Just got a notification about paying salary into Chase to get a 1% boost, I can’t read the full notification as I opened the app but I presume it just meant the 1% interest it would earn. If I ever had reason to switch from first direct I probably would go to Chase now at this point :thinking:

4 Likes

Might be to more easily meet the pay in requirement for cashback?

1 Like

I got that too, but I love the payday early thing Monzo does

1 Like

Hey - really quick query about the Cashback reward with Chase because I’ve switched away and can’t remember the details. You can get up to £15 per month, does it automatically transfer each month whatever reward you’ve got into your current account (I’m sure I remember it doing that - but don’t know it that’s monthly or quarterly?)
Is something like this page is slightly misleading?

It’s showing the current balance of Rewards as £21.50 to transfer (total balance of £51.50) when you’d never actually get £21.50 Rewards purely from Cashback?

1 Like

No it doesn’t move it out monthly. I think it might force you to move it out annually (or maybe that’s roundup), but it definitely doesn’t do it monthly.

3 Likes

No it just sits there until you claim it. It’s Algbra that pays it automatically.

2 Likes

Yeah, Chase, you request for it to move to one of your accounts.

I empty mine about twice a year tbh.

Algbra is daily. Though it does show a figure paid that month.

I do wish Algbra followed the same concept a Chase. It would be nice to separate cash back from the money in the account.

3 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly.

I do not notice the cashback really as it just drifts into the available balance and is spent in next shop.

I know I benefit still. It just doesn’t feel like it tbh

1 Like

Just had a survey from chase re new products that could be introduced

4 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like

Tell us then? :joy:

5 Likes

Can you talk about the survey’s on here?