Chase Bank UK chat

I think you’re in the (slight) minority if I’m honest. My local council certainly comes up with a logo and at the very least if a transaction doesn’t have a logo it has a good formatted name, including the few countries I’ve used it in abroad (USA, Spain, Germany and Portugal).

Just seems like bad luck, not a typical experience (from what I have had and what I have heard from here and my friends who also use it).

Also for the location, whenever I had an issue with this on Monzo I was informed this is down to the merchant/terminal and not the bank itself.

I am perfectly happy to assume I dont have it great given my location but wholey based on my experience their data is crap so far so they should get rid of the lot (jk :wink: )

Either way for me chase is poorer than monzo so far and I personally dont find the app great given the errors I am getting today and its design. I know it may seem harsh given the banks age but people built expectations and sadly it doesnt deliver for me so far. They will no doubt improve over time and hopefully improve the app design soon as well.

Yeah but that would be true if it wasnt working in Monzo as well but the coop has been their for decades and only chase has it wrong. It certainly doesnt appear to be a case of my account not having it enabled given the second transaction I did a day later had location and coop still doesnt.
Maybe chase only buys/integrates the data after someone uses it in a place to save cost/db size so if I use it again it may work in that coop but initial impressions are not great over monzo.
It just rings true that chase arent the epic rich data experience people preached about for me and slated monzo for.

I am still going to bleed them of their 1.5% though until the shareholders revolt and I no longer have to use the app.

1 Like

Am I the only one who doesn’t care much about logos and location data?

All I want is for my transaction to go through smoothly :man_shrugging:

17 Likes

It’s nice to have them but I’m more concerned about money being taken and given on time as quickly as possible.

3 Likes

No, I’m the same. I couldn’t care less about logos (I’d turn them off if I could) or location. As long at the name is displayed correctly, I’m happy.

4 Likes

Same couldn’t care less same with what a card actually looks like.

If I can pay with it when and need and to whom all is good

3 Likes

Logo are not something I’m particular eager for - in fact, I kinda think it looks worse when you have just some logos and some with default symbols and you’re never going to have 100% of logos setup.

Location is actually something I find useful though - especially after a heavy weekend. There’s been a couple of occasions where I’ve seen a payment made and didn’t recognise the name of the company - but then spotted it would’ve been on my route home from the pub and maybe that explains the kebab-regret I’m suffering the next morning…

2 Likes

Hahah same here Paul. Honestly as long as I get cash back. A round up and interest. I honestly don’t care. :wink:

3 Likes

I like the logos, they’re a “nice to have” but I certainly wouldn’t worry if they were missing or wrong etc. The location is much more useful.

Here is response I got from them re Lidls logo.

1 Like

I am sure visa, MasterCard could make deals with merchant banks for merchants to self provide these.

Branding is nice.

3 Likes

I needed to buy something today for the first time since having chase but I couldn’t quite bring myself to use them. I rely too much on my categorisation and little tags in Monzo and I don’t want it split across two places. I think I’ll end up using the 1.5% savings account but not the cashback on transactions.

4 Likes

This is very much me. I like what I like. :joy:

2 Likes

Totally understandable, I’m a bit of a stats geek and love looking back at data so I get it.

I’m hoping Monzo let me open a new account after I CASS’d away last August so may well end up using Monzo for spending once the Chase offer ends in September.

Will rinse them for 1.5% savings as long as I can though. :joy:

2 Likes

I’m sure they will Have something to entice you when the 1% is due to end… I would watch this space.

1 Like

If the 1% doesn’t entice me I can’t imagine what will. Literally free cash isn’t convincing me right now. :laughing:

8 Likes

Monzo likes this :heart:

(But seriously… this was the issue with legacy banks and why they become stagnant and complacent. Competition and the threat of customers leaving is needed in this market)

5 Likes

Me too, couldn’t really care for logo’s

Transaction Maps though, those I would struggle to not have

1 Like

Oh totally. Competition is great! But I want proper revolutionary competition and I’m not sure Chase is it. At the moment it feels like an old bank copying a new bank and trying to buy customers.

If they actually innovate and offer something that improves my finances/experience then I would be happy to move.

6 Likes

You could do what @Peter_G does if you wanted to give them a proper try at this.

I don’t agree with this assertion at all. I think Chase are bringing their own revolutions to the game that didn’t exist before and I really like it.
Those things may not be as enticing to you as Monzo’s approach, but that doesn’t mean they’re not trying to innovate. There’s a lot of new paradigms of doing banking that Chase have introduced, and I like all of them. It’s not quite on par the the number and quality of tools that Monzo offer yet, but I wouldn’t expect them to be.

Depending on your use case for virtual cards, Chase’s solution with the numberless card is a more modern, unique, and perhaps better solution. This approach is quite a big innovation that hasn’t been done before in the U.K., and given how frequently the fintechs have bothered to improve in this area, the push from a new competitor was sorely needed.

Depending how you use pots, Chase’s approach is both different, and in some cases better, and in others worse for the problem they solve. It’s another approach that no one else has done.

Being able to pay direct debits from a savings account is another thing I’d describe as revolutionary. It potentially changes the game for how people are going to be able to manage their direct debits.

There’s a lot of innovative and revolutionary new ways of thinking in their approach. It might feel a bit more legacy, but to some that’s not a bad thing. But it’s a new take, not more of the same.

Your take here reminds me a lot of what I saw from Atom’s customer panel, before I started making some noise on these parts and more people got involved. Everyone wanted them to be the same as their legacy bank, just with better rates, whilst criticising them for being the same.

I don’t see where the logic is in saying they’ve copied the new banks but then don’t offer the same innovations as the new banks do.

What I like most is how fresh the approach feels. It’s innovative, refined, yet more old school, and I like that. I’d love to see some innovation from them on the budgeting side of things, but I don’t want them to just copy Monzo because that doesn’t work for me.

7 Likes