Chase Bank UK chat

What would

In your opinion? Coz I wanna get that too haha :wink:

May I ask why you would struggle without location data? Genuine question.

1 Like

I think they can be interesting for looking back at purchases. For example, if I go onto Natwest currently, and look at a transaction it tells me the following ā€œuseful infoā€ 084433251075GB.

If I had the same on Monzo, chase etc - I can see which Sports direct store it was.

I think Iā€™m just so used to having them now, not sure I would want to bank somewhere that didnā€™t do that.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a savings account, someone posted previously, itā€™s a current account as with the others, just with an interest rate attached.

Think Monzo Premium without the Ā£2k cap :pray:t3::joy:

2 Likes

Oh, I appreciate the fleeting interest, you just said youā€™d ā€œstruggleā€, so wondered why.

I personally donā€™t see the use of knowing whether I went to the Big Tesco or the Little Tesco.

2 Likes

Itā€™s marketed as an easy access savings account, and the terms read like one too. You canā€™t spend from it, or assign the debit card to it. But you can have direct debits come out of it, which is their own unique feature. Itā€™s not a current account at all.

The limit on the amount of savers you can have is both different and separate from the number of current accounts you can have too. (10 vs 15, and if you wanted you could have 10 savers, and 15 accounts totalling a maximum of 25 accounts so far).

3 Likes

I mean the distinctions are fairly arbitrary these days.

I do appreciate being able to pay direct debits from it, but part of me thinks being able to resign the card, Curve style, to the interest bearing account would be kinda cool.

3 Likes

Agreed. But then it wouldnā€™t be a savings account, itā€™d just be an interest bearing current account. :wink:

Iā€™d actually like and prefer that though. Especially as distinctions between the two are slipping.

Thereā€™s certainly an argument in favour of segregation too though, but the nature of the card would still provide that for those who choose it.

1 Like

I considered this but if Iā€™m going through that faff Iā€™d rather put it on my Amex and be able to see it in the Monzo app.

2 Likes

I genuinely donā€™t understand what they do thatā€™s different. Could you elaborate on this point?

Didnā€™t know the spending bit,

Iā€™ll go back to my cave :joy:

1 Like

Are you not already having to deal with that faff with the categorisation and tagging anyway?

Itā€™s largely why I donā€™t bother much with those features. Too much admin for me, and Iā€™d always be changing how Iā€™d categorise things in an effort to refine my approach. With no retroactive changes, I just settled to let the bank categorise them for me and deal with them that way.

1 Like

Nope. I have one pool of money in one current account and most vendors are already preemptively categorised.

The physical card has its own number which is separate from the virtual card number in the app. It covers the privacy use case of virtual cards in Monzo Plus, which is the more important use case for me.

The virtual card details in the app means the physical card is never compromised and I can continue to use it, without needing it replaced, if thereā€™s an online breach. And like with virtual cards, you can regenerate the virtual card number in the app and keep spending.

If the physical card gets skimmed, your online details are safe.

You can also use the accounts to set up a firewall, similar to having your dodgy shops card linked to an empty pot. When youā€™re not spending, you just assign your card to an empty account. Any attempted fraud would then fail unless itā€™s an offline transaction, same as the Monzo virtual card.

3 Likes

I have virtual cards with Monzo and youā€™ve described how I use them already. I donā€™t use my physical card details anywhere online.

So I guess for me, and my use case, itā€™s not revolutionary.

Right, but theyā€™ve approached it differently. They didnā€™t just copy what the fintechs before had done, which was my point.

Having used both, for the privacy use case, Chaseā€™s solution goes further, is more elegant and involves less friction. Itā€™s also free.

6 Likes

But a slightly different approach to virtual cards doesnā€™t feel revolutionary to me. To change banks I would want some big new feature that someone else isnā€™t doing. Not just moving around the same idea. Thatā€™s what I mean by revolutionary.

I was with HSBC for years before Monzo tempted me to move with all their different stuff.

Basically for me itā€™s not worth the inconvenience of moving banks unless itā€™s really going to improve my finance management. Chase doesnā€™t do that for me personally yet.

4 Likes

Forgot to add; I canā€™t remember the last time I used my physical card for it to get skimmed. I use Apple Pay. So it feels like they missed the boat.

And didnā€™t the Apple Card have that approach first?

To me, an approach that results in removing all the sensitive data from the physical card is a revolution in privacy.

I donā€™t want you to get the wrong idea here, either. I love Monzoā€™s virtual cards and Monzo plus in general. I think the way theyā€™ve been done is fantastic. But when it comes to your card privacy, itā€™s more an evolutionary step than a revolutionary one. Chaseā€™s approach is what takes this to that next level for me.

Yep! Thatā€™s why I described it as:

Same, but itā€™s not available everywhere yet. Thatā€™s the long term solution, I think. Both for privacy, and the environment. Iā€™ve long been advocating to ditch the physical card completely by default, and instead to go all in on mobile wallets. But I think weā€™re going to need to see contactless ATMs in the U.K. before thatā€™s a reality. Then of course thereā€™s the issue with travel, and countries that lack this infrastructure.

Weā€™re not there yet, and wonā€™t be anytime soon, but I hope itā€™s where we end up. In the meantime, a card with no numbers on is the best option for privacy.

4 Likes

Yeah that makes sense and comes down to our personal privacy expectations/tolerances.

I donā€™t use my physical card anywhere so if it was stolen or compromised I wouldnā€™t be bothered by having to request a new one from the bank.

When my Amex was skimmed last month they updated my Apple Card version immediately to my new card number.

4 Likes