Cashback

I don’t want to have to enable it though, amex do that and it’s a pain.

I just want it to happen automoatically if i spend in that place. I’ll be unhappy if I spent there and I could have had cashback if I’d jumped through a few hoops first. That’s not what I want from monzo.

10 Likes

Monzo talk a lot about targetting… they wouldn’t do a page like that unless you were the type of person who might benefit from all those offers.

(I’ve never heard of most of those companies so the offers would be wasted on me, for example).

1 Like

No, it’s not location aware. The list is in order by offer expiry date. You have to activate each offer by tapping choose, and if you use your Santander card in that merchant you get the cash back at the end of the next month.

I tend not to bother with it because I don’t normally have my Santander card with me. My day to day spending is on my Nationwide credit card.

I shared it because I think Monzo are looking at providing a list of merchants, and this is an example of what a rival does. I’m sure Monzo would do something better UX-wise.

The colour is Santander’s brand colour.

2 Likes

I’m aware. I think it is used rather too liberally to the point where it is difficult to read anything because your eyeballs are being burnt!

1 Like

It would be good if Monzo could implement cash back in the background, but cash back is basically a marketing exercise. If I owned a brand, I’d want to be put in front of as many Monzo customers as possible. Making app users open a screen to choose between what is essentially a list of adverts achieves that. Unfortunately

6a0290954acc95722e20f167bc23a5ce21b39901

9 Likes

As a marketing exercise, which is what it is, if you become aware of the brand, it will be deemed to be a success.

Fair enough. I’m not a fan of Santander or there app, but I don’t find the colour of putting.

I remember the sixties, though. I guess I’m immune to eye burn. :flushed:

1 Like

Except I didn’t become aware of any brands there… I still have zero idea what most of these companies do and there aren’t any of their shops within shopping range anyway.

Successful advertising is about persuading people to change their spending habits in a relevant way - knowing ‘Bobs Widgets’ exists doesn’t do anything if (a) I never buy widgets, and/or (b) Bob has a single shop in scotland.

If Monzo do this well they can target ads so they’re effective, which helps the company doing the advertising, and hopefully they can do it in a non-annoying way.

1 Like

If that’s where we go then I won’t use it.

Not from any point of principle, just because it’s extra effort to go to before spending something and it just isn’t worth it.

2 Likes

I agree with this, I have a santander account and very rarely do I get cashback, since it takes effort to open the tab and manually select the ones I want. It hasn’t loaded properly on mobile for a long time, and I hardly use a web browser to log in. I’ve earned a measly £6 out of 4 years which isn’t great.

2 Likes

Which is pretty much why I stopped using it. That and the fact that I only use my Santander account for household bills.

I used to select them all once a week when I had the Santander credit card, but since I stopped buying petrol the credit card started to cost me money and I haven’t looked since. Until today.

Amen to that.

Today was the first time I’d looked at that part of the app in over a year, and the brands are the same now as they’ve always been, so someone thinks it works. The only difference seems to be that there are more 10% offers now than there used to be.

I’ve had a Santander account. That facility isn’t location aware.

Mostly - I suppose I’m just fearful of a new ‘feature’ providing pop-up notifications when telling me that I’m ‘Near Foobar Store! Pop in for 8% cashback!’, or notes on competitor’s entries in the feed asking ‘Did you know you could shop at Competitor and get 10% cashback? Wowmg!’

If it’s just a helpful but not intrusive list that I have to explicitly open from the menu bar or whatever, that’s great. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I assume this would work similar to what Visa are already doing for their customers. I get slightly different VISA offers from first direct and Nationwide who run Visa cards. You can either sign up or don’t. If you do you just select an offer and then spend on your card as normal then get the cash back next week.

https://firstdirect.visaoffers.eu/

To get full details of the merchants you need to sign up once with your card details, then by email thereafter, easy. You sign up if you want, but no one is forcing you!

For me, the ideal system would be:

• opt-out default to cashback scheme (it’s not for everyone)
• non-intrusive ‘invisible’ cashback experience
• cashback credited to cashback pot
• no requirement to register for individual time-limited offers
• no push notifications of cashback offers
• no polluting of transaction feed with cashback offers
• separate page listing cashback opportunities

Essentially, I would like to see cashback being a seamless, frictionless experience. If I spend somewhere that offers cashback, that gets automatically sent to the cashback pot. A notification that I’d recieved £n cashback from ACME Corp. would be acceptable.

I don’t want to have to register for time-limited offers like I have to with AMEX.

That’s my thoughts on the matter.

20 Likes

This ^^ :heart_eyes:

3 Likes