Cash Deposit: First Look!

Any idea how much change you can get away with? Would that be at the retailer’s discretion or are there PayPoint rules?

1 Like

Change is probably retailer’s discretion (because the money’s going in their tills), and legal tender amounts are probably as good a guideline as any:

£2 - for any amount

£1 - for any amount

50p - for any amount not exceeding £10

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

All data taken from the Royal Mint

1 Like

I’m not terribly active :see_no_evil: 5306 5764 3774

QR

Poke%CC%81mon%20GO_2018-11-16-17-47-14

@ntaylor3, not sure! I just had a £1 - got other spare change but I couldn’t be bothered counting it.

Should probably test this out :eyes: Might end up taking out £10 just to deposit it again!

Make sure to claim the £1 on expenses then!

8 Likes

PayPoint or the Retailer don’t have minimums or maximums, the company impose a minimum or maximum according to the contract they sign. But above the minimum and between the maximum any amount can be deposited. However if you walked in with £100 in 1p’s they may refuse it, just like Post Offices may, and some banks may etc.

What would happen when you reach the maximum deposit allowed and you tried to deposit more?

1 Like

It declines. There’s a screenshot on the closed thread

1 Like

Ah great, thanks :+1:t2:

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Removed Posts 19/11/18

That’s what my First Direct account is for. Post Office deposits for free ; and a 5% regular saver, of course!

2 Likes

Paypoint do have a maximum, they set the £300 iirc

1 Like

I hate to disagree, but they don’t.

You can pay many bills etc in PayPoint outlets, and many people have bills over £300.

The agreement with Monzo may be £300 but that is not a PayPoint limit.

PrePay Solutions for example normally have a PayPoint maximum of £499 with a £1.50 fee. There are a number of other examples of similar situations where the maximum is over £300.

That’s one Example of a Mastercard that allows you to deposit more than £300 That is Optimum.

8 Likes

Sorry, my mistake! Thanks for letting me know :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

Will there be future options that don’t charge? Appreciate PayPoints are open longer and around more, but just wondering whether something like depositing at the Post Office will ever be something that can be considered, to avoid paying the fee?

The thing with post office is that Monzo will still have to pay fees to PO like other banks so they would still likely be passed on to the end user under their current model

1 Like

Hmm ok…probably best (in my case) to have a separate legacy bank account just for depositing and then transferring over to Monzo.

The government is gonna think I’m money laundering but if that’s the only way! haha

1 Like

Nice to see this arriving. Though I like to use the post office for those kind of services, its better than nothing.

I do wonder if the £1 fee is going to see Monzo crop up as a bank with lots of hidden costs (monetary or otherwise) in the long run. It is a concern. I know im never going to deposit cash into monzo for £1…

1 Like

The irony to that, of course, is that if no one deposits cash the charge will possibly remain since it will always be a niche service.

I’m not sure how they can manage their way around that one, to be honest.

(For those of a troll-ish nature, no, I’m not suggesting we all pay to deposit cash to get the volume up and thus decrease the charges somehow…)

A approve of paypoint just because the thought of queueing up at a post office for 30+ minutes just to put £10 in is enough to put me off the idea :stuck_out_tongue: