Card rejected

I tried to use my debit card first time in ScotiaBank cash machine - (the only one that doesn’t charge me 4.5GBP when taking cash), but unfortunately I got an error that my branch is invalid. I’m in Peru and prepaid card works all right. Any thoughts?

enable mag stripe for ATM withdrawals ??? :slight_smile:

I searched for this option in Monzo Bank app, can’t find it?

under - card - settings - magstripe ATMs - on iPhone anyway - I would imagine the similar path with funny phones :slight_smile:

1 Like

For Scotiabank you never had to enable the magstripe for the prepaid card so I wouldn’t imagine that was the issue.

The other bank that does not charge that I have found so far is BCP but it only allows you to make one withdrawal per month.

That is the case for Monzo App, not Monzo Bank - the option doesn’t exist on Android. And as @dan_mcloughlin said I didn’t have to to it for ScotiaBank for prepaid card. I also have no notifications with a reason or that my card has been rejected

sorry thought you were pre paid - so - Magstripe is not currently supported on Current Account, if as the following post from someone who has been to peru is correct you need to enable magstripe for some banks :slight_smile:

• perhaps worth contacting in app support before they close for the evening through the app ???
1 Like

Turns out ScotiaBank uses magstripe after all and it’s not available in the current account yet O_o, so unfortunately for now I need to use prepaid. You were right after all @anon95680666!

5 Likes

I was in a similar situation in Morocco last week , again I got no notifications in the Monzo bank app for the reason for the decline. Tried 2 different ATMs.

The ATM message read something like “unknown destination”.

My friend’s prepaid worked and we checked - magstripe wasn’t turned on.

Any ideas/should I post a new thread?

1 Like

I was told it’s not a feature for Current Account Debit Card yet, meaning I can’t turn it on, so at the moment the card is useless to me because where I am most of places use magstripe

@triteata, thanks for your post, which saved me when I arrived in Marrakech as I knew to use my prepaid card!

Glad you saw it in time. Hopefully, the culprit is found and fixed!

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.