Can you have Monzo without google apps on Android?

Hi, I have a custom ROM on my mobile and you can install it without any Google, however can you get the .apk for Monzo without having to have google spyware all over my mobile? If you can get your hands on the .apk safely, will it run on the phone without all things Goggle?

2 Likes

It won’t install any google related apps but the app does use google apis for mapping etc so you wouldn’t be google free

1 Like

There’s so many things wrong with this :smile:

If you’ve decided to use an android phone your using google “spyware”, there’s not really any getting around that.

As for the app, i wonder if banks still have the options of absolving responsibility if your careless with your data? That would probably apply here.

The safe place to obtain the Monzo app for android is the Google play store.

5 Likes

I’m willing to send you an APK with the Monzo app - just ignore the stuff that pops up about microphone, camera, photo library access etc :rofl::innocent:

3 Likes

I’d suggest switching to iOS :smiley:

6 Likes

the monzo app uses some Google APIs so it won’t work without gaps , I don’t think monzo has any plans on changing this.

You can use androidOS with any Google framework, but obviously you don’t get any of the Google play services etc.

1 Like

I’m surprised Monzo allow the app to run on any old custom ROM.

This is useful if you get your phone in places that don’t include Google services.

Think of devices from China, they’re not “custom” roms but they don’t include Google services.

While this is technically correct most of what a normal person would view as “androidOS” is in fact Google services

1 Like

Check out the MicroG project, and the safest place to get the Monzo APK (other than the Play Store) is on APK Mirror.

The MicroG project is:

A free-as-in-freedom re-implementation of Google’s proprietary Android user space apps and libraries.

2 Likes

There’s so many things wrong with this :smile:

Android is an open source operating system. In itself it doesn’t have any Google spyware and since everything is open source that can be (and has been) confirmed.

If you get the APK from a safe place such as APK mirror, then you aren’t doing anything risky with your data.You would end up getting the same exact APK you would get from Google Play Store, without having to have gapps installed

I’ve been using Monzo without Google Service since last June, over ten months. I got the apk from APKmirror. I have not lost or gained any money as a result but then I only use it for spending money so there is not a lot in there. The one problem, is that you do not get any notifications from the app, so you have to open it to watch any transactions. Poor google keep offering me free this and free that via gmail (not on my mobile but on my PC) and has not recorded me going anywhere in the world since then. F-droid is a great open source respository for apps. I only use google to watch youtube vids on my PC. Duckduckgo and Startpage as search engines. Also, without google services, my battery lasts for several days on my mobile. So a success so far.

Out of curiosity, do you have plans / know a way to get notifications working on your device? It’s a pretty standard feature of monzo and it’s a shame you’re missing out.

Sadly, if you install a custom ROM without any Google Play services, there are no notifications unless the app has found a way round it which I doubt Monzo are going to bother. It’s no big deal, just open up the app to check. For the ridiculously long battery life and the lack of google in my life, I feel it is worth it. No apple too.

Do you hide from CCTV too?

You could use the API to send you notifications if you want.

It would be like not allowing it to run on any android phone, it’s very much like windows or linux. (Android uses the linux kernel after all)

I’ve used monzo on phones running lineage OS. (Android with all google and nonfree closed source software stripped out) you need to install google play services for it to work tho.

I wear a Darth Vader outfit in public

You mean for the notifications to work? It works fine without notifications.

1 Like