Budget advice notification

Dear Monzo Community
This is my first post here and is just a simple idea but something I would find quite helpful and I know friends that use Monzo also would.

The Itch
I recently found myself being a little bit annoyed by the overspending notifications. You know ‘you’re spending too quickly for your overall target’.

This always happens at the start of the month because I get excited, I have money, I will go out for dinner a few times etc.

I don’t think they’re bad, I think it’s going in the right direction and I look forward to seeing the app develop in this area (also targets section), but because they leave me with a few questions about what I should be spending I generally feel less empowered and sometimes even anxious.

The Idea
The solution that I had was to extend the notification to simply say ‘Limit your spending to £x for the next 2 days you’ll be right back on track’. Something that gives me a tip on how I can be back on track. Instead of just saying spend less, I get an actual amount based on my targets and what is in the bank.

Anyway, that’s it. I tried finding another post on this but couldn’t seem to (apologise if I missed it). Also the kind person on the monzo twitter told me to add this hashtag #extraordinaryideas

8 Likes

I love this idea. Changing the wording from negative to positive - or giving you a practical action to put you back on track.

I think this fits with Monzo’s overall communications better - support and encouragement instead of warnings!

4 Likes

So what do we do next?

Good question. Maybe @Zainab or @tristan can advise? Or someone from broader Monzo team?

1 Like

It looks like you have two choices, if you’re a developer, you can build an app that sends those notifications or if not, wait and see whether Monzo updates the feature ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The team genuinely sees all of these posts

but generally only reply if they have a preview or have decided it’s something they are building / would like to build & usually won’t if no decision’s been made…

You may still get a “that sounds good :thumbsup:” reply of course :wink:

1 Like

That’s an excellent idea. We have only scratched the surface of what we can do with contextual notifications. I hope we’ll be able to do that kind of thing at some point :slight_smile:

2 Likes