Brexit Chat

Welcome to the brave new world, can’t wait to see what else is in the so called deal.

Question about Brexit and VAT if anyone knows -

Is there any clarity on stuff ordered from Europe prior to Jan 1, with regards to import duties, etc?

Say I ordered something in Nov, and the total charge includes VAT, but the item doesn’t get delivered until Jan, is that liable for import fees + VAT?

Not 100% but I think I read a day or two ago that yes over a certain amount would

1 Like

I’d hazard a guess that it’s the date the items are actually imported that’s key.

1 Like

I suspect a lot of it is down to individual countries, France is the only one I have had to check about personally and was told that in either direction the postmark effectively makes the decision. Even though things are being held up due to Christmas backlogs, covid border closings and whatever else, if it is on its journey, even if it moves across borders or is delivered after it will be under the previous rules. If you’ve ordered but it’s not dispatched until Jan I’d imagine there would be fees to pay, if it has left the sender before, then none. But that may be incorrect as, as I say, I am only going by what I was told, I am no customs expert myself!

1 Like

The date of the Order Confirmation is the key.
All terms are applicable as at that confirmed date.

It does not matter if the delivery is post Jan 1, if you ordered - and received confirmation - prior to Jan 1, then the pre-Jan-1 terms apply.

2 Likes

That’s the belief I held too - I paid VAT at the time of ordering, and so this seems the most logical - although I don’t know what measures the vendors need to take to demonstrate that relevant VAT has been paid post Jan-1.

Either way, unless by some miracle it arrives tomorrow, there’s probably some paperwork kerfuffle to occur in the next few.

Reading other places, suggests there may be a customs/import charge due, but without the additional duty.

Will see soon enough!

As far as your transaction is concerned, they don’t need to. You’ve paid the applicable charges prior to any changes made post Jan-01

Looks like Gibraltar, whose citizens voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU, gets a better Brexit deal than the rest of the U.K.

Sounds similar to Northern Ireland?

1 Like

Soon to be Scotland when Indyref2 comes along :wink:

I have deep doubts, but high hopes :+1:

Would Scotland really join the Schengen area like Gibraltar has just done today?

Even the Republic of Ireland isn’t part of that area and an EU state (and neither was the UK as an EU member). I guess the SNP would like a hard border separating Scotland and England as would have to have if part of the Schengen area.

It was more about Scotland becoming Indy and rejoining EU😉

1 Like

The article is about Gibraltar joining the Schengen area, not joining the EU, so I just assumed. Apologies! :smiley:

No worries I didn’t read the article :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Just tried to watch the United match and…

Welcome to the sunlit uplands!

3 Likes

I assume this may come down to distribution- and copyright issues.

I can’t otherwise understand why any content provider would want to inconvenience paying customers

Same with Sky Go which is essentially the same app but skinned for Sky customers.

There was previously an EU law that meant these services had to be made available everywhere in the EU, now that no-longer exists so Sky have pulled the plug.

Interestingly I’ve just tried BT Sport and Amazon Prime Video and they both seem to be working as the were a few days ago.