Brexit Chat

Nice. Have you got the opposite version? Think it’s the just leave one?

Currently at 165,000.

https://splasho.com/petitions/

Trending

“Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.” (34676 signatures per hour)

“Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019.” (2765 signatures per hour)

“Parliament must honour the Referendum result. Leave deal or no deal 29/03/19” (2356 signatures per hour)

1 Like

Love the part under more info “The EU border in Ireland” its a British border :joy:

Also love the part about the money for trade North and South using different currency, it’s not just about the money :joy::wink::joy:

1 Like

So they think the Republic of Ireland will start taking a foreign currency as legal tender to help the U.K. out? Irish twitter has discussed (by which I mean laughed mercilessly) this before :joy::joy::joy:

Two top quotes on TMPM today from Nicola Sturgeon during First Minister’s Question today

“Theresa May must be the only leader in history who has tried to fall on her own sword… and missed!”

If you don’t back me, I’ll stay’

1 Like
1 Like

Are you abroad @simonb? You’re up late…

1 Like

Not yet, but I’ll be in Los Angeles in a few days so maybe I’m just prepping for the time zone change :smile:

I’m awake until 4/5am most nights to be fair.

1 Like

So delayed till October 31st, what an absolute bloody joke this has become.

2 Likes

Halloween, appropriately :ghost:

The dream.

6 more months of this rubbish. Brilliant.

1 Like

Something tells me in my head that this isn’t even going to happen on 31st October 2019. I will personally never vote again because any trust I had in Parliament has completely disintegrated.

The reason for the delay is that Brexiters have failed to negotiate a solution they found acceptable with Europe, or even negotiate a solution amongst themselves. Exiting without a deal is a possibility but it would have grave consequences - recession for the uk and hundreds of thousands of jobs lost, which a clear majority of UK people see as unacceptable. You should be pleased there is still at least the chance of a negotiated brexit solution.

Personally I think since no coherent case for Brexit has been put forward after two years and the result was on a knife edge it should be put to the population again as a choice of the options which are now clear - the Brexit the EU will accept (May’s deal), or no deal if you wish (I wouldn’t put this on the paper, but I guess some want it), or revoke article 50. Or we could have a general election to clarify things.

Democracy, if it has any meaning at all, is a continuous process.

6 Likes

Sadly this wouldn’t work and has been the reason it hasn’t already been put back to the public I’d suggest. You are splitting leave into two camps but leaving remain in one. There’s only one winner, so it has to be more binary. In or out.

For the record I think Brexit has been more of a demonstration of how easy it is to manipulate both sides of the camp and there has been a lot of money wasted doing so. Money that could have been spent being more productive. Unfortunately for Brexit, apathy and boredom are beggining to kick in and that’s more threatening to the leave side then anything else on the table.

Also if I ever regularly found myself on the same side of an argument as Kate Hoey, Steve Baker, Michael Gove, Boris, Nigel Garage date I say it…Jeremy Corbyn. I’d have come to my senses by now and have known I must be on the wrong side! :rofl:

Tldr: Brexit is a sham, built on tribalism to be killed by apathy.

2 Likes

I disagree. Both leave options are radically different and there are 3 choices at the moment. But we won’t get another vote

1 Like

I kind of agree that’s why I would not put it on the paper (it’s also just too disastrous and parliament is against it) but the options have to be up for debate at least. I’m also hesitant about rule by referenda as I prefer representative democracy so would prefer a general election.

As to in or out, we’ve discovered that isn’t really what’s on offer - we can have in (which some don’t like) or out on draconian terms (which nobody will enjoy), or out on EU terms (which nobody will like).

It has been mentioned that the delays that have been put in place are in fact null and void and that we actually left the EU ON March 29th as the delays were not passed in law when they should have been.

I’m on mobile so will look later as heard last night that someone has brought a case against the government.

EDIT:

I can see what you’re saying in terms of preferring to “re-elect” individuals rather than put out a second referendum - but Brexit isn’t grounded in party politics, it is all very individual. There are some staunch Brexiteers in the Conservative Party, some Remainers and then there are some who would prefer Common Market 2.0 just as an example. The same goes for the Labour Party.

If we were to have another GE, someone could rightly say “I voted for X because they want Brexit to be Y not because of their overarching Party Politics”.

The whole idea of Brexit starting with a Referendum to begin with was a mistake and I’m not sure when it’ll all be patched up - no matter what way it goes.

3 Likes

Getting closer to a grubby deal that everyone hates. That’s the true endpoint here

5 Likes