Barclays chat

That is obviously what I thought, just always like to make sure with this sort of stuff so thank you :smile:

Hopefully the post doesn’t take too long. I’m not good at waiting :laughing:

1 Like

Couldn’t get my Barclaycard to work yesterday. Was declined twice, through Curve and Google Pay, yet another card worked first time.

Contacted Barclaycard. Clueless. Allegedly no record of declined transactions, yet I have the transaction slips.

Mine is getting closer to being binned, along with Barclays too.

2 Likes

I have no intention of staying with Barclays long term. I had my first account with them and for some reason, had to visit a branch to use the app. Didn’t want to do that so switched to Santander for their student account.

It’s my first credit card and I don’t really have a great income yet so had a limited number of cards I could apply for.

2 Likes

That’s a good one! It’s more like go into branch to have your customer accounts linked which will fail a couple of times requiring repeat visits and waiting with a crystal ball guessing whether it’ll work this time.

Barclaycard is a solid credit card as far as high street credit cards go, but Barclays as a whole is a shit show

The Barclaycards are good cards to be fair, they have good ongoing balance and money transfers at low rates if you ever need them, and you can sign up at https://cashbackrewards.uk.barclaycard/ for cashback offers. With the Rewards card having 0% fx fee and 0.25% cashback, it’s one of the best all rounder credit cards I have.

The app is still trash though.

1 Like

Ever since I switched my Barclaycard from Avios to Rewards, I’ve not been able to see statements in app.
Finally I had some time last week and I rang support. They opened an IT ticket, and switched my statements to “online & post”. The IT ticket is still open, I’ve heard nothing so far, no statements in app and I just got a statement in the post.
Welcome back to 2005.

Coupled with the fact they still don’t allow their cards onto Google or Samsung Pay, I’m close to researching another 0% fx credit card to wave this one bye bye.

The whole company is trash ime. When the app went wrong, support were utterly hopeless. The directed to the branch, who directed back to the helpline. The complaints department were no better.

But, yes, 0% fx and 0.25% cashback is all round market leading. But I’ve still binned it.

How long does it normally take to get stuff in the mail from Barclaycard? Been over a week and no mail yet. I do keep getting emails though, one which had a my credit limit which I was surprised at considering it’s my first card.

1 Like

Most companies I have found tell you your credit limit either during the application or soon after via email.

Did they not say how long to expect?
These days I find it can be anything from 7 to 14 days for a new card, unless it’s an urgent placement.

2 Likes

Barclaycard’s website and support give slightly different timescales so just wanted an idea from others.

I wasn’t surprised they told me my limit, I was surprised at what my limit was.

Lower or higher than you were expecting?

This wording assumes higher than expecting.

1 Like

Yep. Higher. The maximum they offer for the forward account. Part of me thinks it must be a mistake.

Most people are happier when they get a higher limit, why does it have to be a mistake?

My experience of Barclays was they were quite generous with their limits.

My only bug bear with Barclaycard is the that they constantly send me credit and bank transfer offers.

The maximum is £1200 right? My first credit card with Lloyds when I was 19 had a limit of £1750 so it’s a fairly reasonable first limit. They’d probably only give you a lower limit if they had a specific reason to.

Yeah, max £1200. Min £50 AFAIK

Just surprised. People I knew with essentially no credit history didn’t get as much as that

Lloyds website states not available for those who are students or unemployed which is the problem for me as I’m a student with a job. Wanted to go with them as I prefer their app and service.

How much did they get? I got £800 and was positively surprised.

Remember, it’s not about whether you can borrow and repay £1200.

Their ideal is that you borrow £1200 and repay the minimum (which at a guess would only be £40) each month.

Their calculated decision is that even if you balls up your finances, you’ll probably be able to scrape together than £40/mo, and they can keep charging you interest. Here’s their own calculation:

Barclaycard will only start to regret lending you money when you start missing minimum payments, because that’s when they need to start chasing you (which costs them time and money), or if they have to write your £1200 off completely (which is incredibly unlikely - almost everyone manages to make a few repayments before they default, and some people limp on for many many years before they default).

Basically, don’t take this as a green light to borrow £1200. Credit card lenders want you to get into a bit of difficulty because it makes them money.

1 Like