At last, a generation of schoolchildren will grow up knowing it’s OK to be LGBT

Seriously, do you have any data to back up that statement? I’m mid 50s, bi, and to my knowledge have not met anyone pretending to be gay. Which isn’t to say that people I’ve met who said they were gay weren’t, but how would you know and how do you justify your statement?

I was thinking about this the other day and realised that the business I work for has been around 19 years and it has only ever asked for First Name and Last Name. I don’t really regard my “title” as being part of my name and would prefer it wasn’t there at all.

1 Like

What you teach is that anyone can fall in love with anyone and it’s okay. What does it matter how they identify?

3 Likes

We are in danger of taking things to for with the whole LGBT topic I think. Last year my boys school had LGBT month where they had flags flying they all had to wear wrist bands and did art etc based on it. I feel this is too far, yes people need to accept everyone for who they are, but ramming it down kids throats for a month is excessive.
2 years ago an a military establishment we removed all the flags and put up the LGBT flag in there places this included the union flag, again this takes the whole thing to far. Eventually it just becomes positive discrimination.

If we had a straight week we would be held to account for discrimination.

Be what you want and who you want, and accept people for who they are, but don’t force it onto people, especially not our children. School is for learning maths, english, science etc sexual orientation, gender, race or religion should not come into it.

1 Like

Oh no.

10 Likes

But straight week is every week.

What’s one month when kids get the heterosexual agenda rammed down their throats for the other 11 anyway?

In any case, generation z or the post-millennials or whatever the next generation are called seem to not only be accepting of, but actively seeking out and experiencing diversity. The kids are alright.

10 Likes

This isn’t the case at all - every other week is nothing in particular week.

It’s just the same as how international men’s day is now vilified but international women’s day is huge.

It’s not equal.

1 Like

Um, no. It isn’t.

2 Likes

Yes, it is.

There was a UK University that had a huge backlash for planned international men’s day celebrations and were pushed into cancelling it, of course no such objections for women’s day.

Edit: This one for example

I read the article. There was not a backlash for the celebrations. It was cancelled because a senior member of faculty was using the event to press an anti-women agenda. Therefore, it doesn’t support your argument.

I’m certain in a community of thousands that there was one woman who had an anti-men agenda. It doesn’t mean that highlighting issues etc shouldn’t happen…

Edit: I reread the article because I didn’t know of any anti-women agenda - it doesn’t appear there is one. A faculty member rightly identified that women could be appointed over men based on the fact that they’re women. This isn’t wrong, it’s the result of diversity laws which don’t represent reality but try to make everything equal.

If a male and female candidate both applied for the same role with no difference in experience or achievements it’s likely the female employee would be hired to satisfy diversity requirements.

Itn not every week. Straight people don’t parade the streets every week, or make kids have lessons about it, or fly a special flag. You can be LGBT every day too.

Edit. It would be the same as having an international white person day. If we did that we would be strung up as racists.

Positive discrimination is just as damaging as any other sort of discrimination.

or make kids have lessons about it

I mean, to be fair, we did. And that’s the only bit that’s changing to be more inclusive.

In my ‘sex ed’ lessons at school I learned male and female body parts, I learned about menstruation, and I learned how to put a condom onto a plastic tube. That meant that any lesbians I was at school with, would be learning how to protect themselves during straight sex. That was the extent of our sex education. Alternative situations were not even mentioned in passing. So yes, I had lessons about straight relationships.

I hope that my daughter does learn about protection from pregnancy and STIs. I also hope that she learns about love and relationships with whoever she wants. And I hope that there is a strong emphasis on the importance of consent and that ‘no means no’. We started that young with her just regarding hugs as she’s a very cuddly child, but even now she sometimes gets it wrong and hugs someone without asking and makes them uncomfortable, and I make sure to talk with her about it. I want her to learn not about ‘straight sex’ or ‘gay sex’ specifically, but about how to be safe and keep others safe in ANY and ALL kinds of relationship.

6 Likes

Love it when a discussion about minority characteristics gets hijacked by the privileged majority whinging that they feel discriminated against.

Happens every time.

It’s almost like we’re not allowed to talk about anything without having to think of the poor, marginalised straight, white, able–bodied men of this world.

17 Likes

Anyway, back on topic.

I hate it to break it to your Muslim friend, but queer people are real, whether they believe their own eyes or not. To coin a phrase, “We’re queer. Get over it.”

Ironically, the bigots who hold these opinions seem OK with trying to encourage little LGBTQ kids to be straight, though.

3 Likes

I think this a great step but I’m 22 and I remember my primary school teaching us same sex couples existed and are normal e.g. some people live with 2 mums, some with 2 dads etc and about same sex relationships in a general sense. So not sure it’s 100% true they’ll be the first generation to be taught about LGBT acceptance at school

1 Like

You can be LGBT every day too.

Thank you very much. I have to say, I am rather fabulous at it.

:dancer:t2:

8 Likes

I’m more of the opinion that school is for enabling children to make their way in the world, and part of that is to teach them about the value of celebrating diversity.

10 Likes

Just a note on these two statements. I mean the way I think of it is positive discrimination is not damaging because all your doing is putting into legislation something that already happens in reverse.

Men and straight people are already more likely to be better paid than their female/LGBT equlivaiant.

Women still to this day In the UK get paid less for like for like jobs. Already LGBT people are more likely to be in poverty/unemployed. So all positive discrimination does is addressing the discrimination we already have in our society. As soon as we live in an actual equal society then we can get rid of positive discrimination as it will not have a purpose.

To deny the existence of already existing discrimination is extremely naive or even malicious.

3 Likes