At last, a generation of schoolchildren will grow up knowing it’s OK to be LGBT

Maybe that would be in recognition of the extra hurdles that candidate had to clear to get to the final stage of the employment process.

I’m not convinced that ‘satisfying diversity requirements’ is the best way to achieve equality of opportunity, it’s a blunt tool. Ideally, we’d be encouraging employers to look deeply into the candidate’s background to account for how much harder some people have to work to get to same place others coast into.

1 Like

All I’m saying is do what you want with who you want and be whst you want but not everyone needs to be the same. I think forcing any issue of sexual orientation or race or religion on anyone is wrong. It is down to parents to teach kids about sex and relationships not schools, after all being straight or gay is not a life skill.

It is almost a disadvantage to to a straight white male these days as so many employers try to fill quotas. The military are advertising the fact, the police do it, and so do many other public sector jobs.

And if the parents are bigots?

4 Likes

I read this and then my eyes went to hell.

8 Likes

That’s their choice though. The vast majority are not. There are plenty of bigoted gay people out there too.

For some people if they do this their life/welfare could be in danger.

It’s funny how we just accept these and the other usual topics as suitable for school and that anything else is optional. I don’t think understanding society should be optional.

7 Likes

Although I would support banning all religion in schools apart from comparative religious education

6 Likes

If I understand you correctly you mean teaching about religion should be included, but schools of a religious nature in themselves would not be allowed?

Basically yes. Religion is part of society so teaching the main religions and what they believe is important to stop religious prejudice

Religious schools shouldn’t be state funded and they would have to give equal time to education about other religions. If not children still don’t learn about all aspects of society

7 Likes

I’ve never heard of there being anti-straight hate crimes.

2 Likes

I won’t take credit for finding this, a similar one came up in another thread…

cayq2spucaaiiof

The moaning of those in the advantaged group when someone is given a leg up or a little attention is hilarious!

8 Likes

It my not be published. But I personally have been turned away from a gay club in the past I was with my missus and a gay friend and me and the wife were turned away for the simple reason we were not gay. If that’s not bigoted towards sms straight couple I don’t know what is.

Oh shit, did you call the police?

4 Likes

giphy

3 Likes

And of course it is a well documented fact that gay people are never turned away from any club whatsoever.

Reminder, as some people seem to have forgotten.

Pride and other educational LGBTQ+ efforts exist because in many cultures, countries, and areas it is literally against the law to be anything other than heterosexual and in some places you might even get killed for it. I’m not just talking about other countries. This still happens amongst some communities here in the UK, too.

Please think about this before you start making comments about it “going too far”. That’s not only a ridiculous concept but it is offensive.

And there’s no “straight people day” for the same reason there’s no “white people day” - you already have the privilege. You’re already going through life on easy mode compared to those of us who are ethnic minorities, part of the LGBTQ+ communities or both. You literally don’t have to worry about being discriminated against because of your race or sexuality.

Finally, the concept of it being in any way a disadvantage to be a straight white male is laughable nonsense. Here at Monzo, we’ve worked incredibly hard on diversity and inclusion, probably more so than most companies, and yet the company is still at the moment, 60% male, 80% white, 80% heterosexual. Why? Because of systemic race, sexuality and gender advantage in this country to straight white men. This is a societal and sociological issue that will take a long time to balance out. We’re probably not even 1% of the way there yet as a society and already, in the face of the progress, straight white men complain about it because the very idea of them not being at the top of the chain is so alien, so disconcerting to them that it makes them feel just a tiny fraction of how it feels for oppressed classes every single day. Ironic.

24 Likes

Laying down the truth there Simon, cheers for putting that into the words I couldn’t quite find.

4 Likes

I’m already gay and I didn’t have to overcome any hurdles to apply for a job…

Being gay doesn’t cause any hinderance to me submitting an application for a job and I don’t think it affects my ability to obtain employment. I don’t need a quota to tell people that I’m worth hiring.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. Those things didn’t come about by accident, though.

Also, I was replying to your comment about a male and female candidate. Which is a slightly different scenario.

All the best :+1:

The interesting thing about topics like this is that they preach about acceptance and tolerance of others. Now watch how tolerant people will be towards anyone who questions the fact this should be taught in schools. Waving the populist flag is always easy. True tolerance is hard; it’s about respecting that some people hold values which don’t align with your own. It’s about knowing the difference between stating your position and criticising / attacking someone else for their own position. I’m not going to state my position on this issue, which can be decisive. It’s an interesting thread to read through though.