Apply for a joint account missing from App for ineligible people [JAs Still Offered]

Paying for Plus/Premium doesn’t make someone more eligible for the joint account.

1 Like

I didn’t say it did - I said I was curious if it would

Here we go again. Monzo don’t say anything more because they literally can’t. If it’s a risk based decision, or something related to the FCA investigation, they can’t say anything because everything they say could divulge information that they aren’t allowed to, or would help people find ways to circumvent existing controls.

It’s not just Monzo being evil, either. Other banks don’t say anything more, either. It’s industry standard that if you’re rejected for something, they refer you to your credit file and that’s it, they won’t discuss it ever again. Look on MSE, there was a thread about Barclays doing the exact same thing the other day.

And it doesn’t (just) have to be your risk. It can be a combination of your risk, processes, controls, a million things we don’t have insight into. Yet every few weeks someone comes on here asking the same questions, people giving the same answers, and ultimately the thread spiralling into even wilder conspiracies.

At the end of the day they don’t have to offer anyone any accounts at all and the most you’re entitled to is one single word, “No”. Anything else is already going above and beyond. As long as you’re not denied based on a protected characteristic they could even make decisions based on the colour of your socks.

1 Like

This should just be pinned to the top of this thread IMHO. This is always going to be a massively circular conversation because:

• Monzo are never going to come on here and tell people “Yeah, the reason you can’t have one is because you shop at chuck-e-cheese”
  • It’s 100% subjective, based on that individual and their moment in time. And if that changes, chances are it could change whether you could get one or not
1 Like

Yep well aware of all of this - as I said, spent years working in the financial industry and banking specifically. There is however a world of difference between what HAS to be done and what CAN be done. Nobody that I’m aware of has suggested Monzo needs to deliver chapter and verse on the reasons. What they have suggested is that the current approach is causing more confusion - indeed, they’re not even saying “you aren’t eligible” they’re saying that they’re working to make more accounts available.

Again, they don’t have to. But bear in mind they aren’t doing this for applications, they are removing the option to apply, which is what’s causing confusion.

1 Like

And I said that’s absolutely not the case, so no need to be curious.

I can sort of get this, I do agree it’s not the clearest way of declining (compared to other banks who will also say things like “check your credit file”

My guess is such as the above example there’s no point in saying “you are not eligible” because that’s just going to get the customer to ask a question which they can’t answer. Also, there’s no point putting a button to apply if the customer can’t.

What would you like to see it say instead?/the app do?

I’m not sure how much clearer “We can’t let you apply for an account” can be.

2 Likes

LOL, did you miss the end of the very post you replied to where I said “but nope”? I had the answer, I wasn’t asking for it.

Personally, something that gave me an indication of the underlying reason. So “we have temporarily stopped offering joint accounts” or “you don’t meet our eligibility criteria but try again in the future.” There can be a very simple stock answer to that: “sorry, I don’t have access to that sort of information” Very common with banks. The point is, at least people would then know where they stand - if I’ve failed an eligibility criteria, so be it. I know to look elsewhere. The current approach is the worst of all worlds because it puts customers in limbo. Should they try later, or not? Is it a technical issue, or not? Is it a risk issue, or not? Is it an eligibility issue, or not?

Nobody knows, so they ask customer service for an answer, and, as Monzo itself acknowledges, is frustrating.

1 Like

Unless you are interpreting this differently from me …

should they try later or not ??

" we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to apply "

it couldn’t be clearer to me :man_shrugging:

what the issue is …technical …risk …etc is irrelevant really

4 Likes

Sure, maybe. Call me cynical, but I’ve seen enough “we’ll let you know, honest!” lines from companies in multiple industries to trust it about as much as I trust yellow snow.

1 Like

That’s what you wanted? and now when it says

“We’ll let you know” which is better? You now think that’s bad and untrustworthy?

I’m not sure I’m understanding what you’re saying correctly.

“That’s what you wanted” - what is?

Which is better from what?

No, I don’t think anything is “bad and untrustworthy” I think it’s causing confusion. Which isn’t a hot take - I appreciate being in the presence of geniuses on this thread, but there are lots of posts from different people on this forum and others from people saying they have no idea why they can’t open an account, don’t know how long it might take, and a fair portion of them are leaving Monzo entirely as a result of it.

So, as so often happens, there’s an inability to separate one’s own interpretation of something from how other people might interpret it, and the problems that follow.

1 Like

You want Monzo to say

But instead they say

“We’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to apply”

That is better. They are going to let you know, you don’t need to come back and check daily. But now you think that is bad?

You can still keep wasting your own time and try each day if you wish.

1 Like

Did you forget saying this? :point_down:

And no, I’m not wasting my time to try each day. I have a joint account with another bank, and we earn cash back on our bills there. Does that mean I shouldn’t be allowed to have an opinion?

1 Like

Quoting something I said months ago that has since changed isn’t the gotcha you seem to think.

3 Likes

What has changed? The screenshot in the message above the one I quoted is the same basic message as what they say today - including “we’ll let you know”

Out of interest, have you tried to access the ‘Apply for a Joint Account’ button via Help?:

Tap on ‘Help’ on the home screen. Type ‘Joint Account’ and ‘Opening a joint account’ will show:

Screenshot_20230309-174059

Tap on ‘Opening a joint account’ and the button should show:

If this button is tapped on, do you then get the rejection message?

1 Like

Yes.

Again, this is partly why people are getting confused. I remember reading that Monzo offered joint accounts but couldn’t see it in the app. I looked on Google for where to find it, but the option wasn’t in my app in the supposed place. So I searched in help and found that page, and it takes you to the rejection message.

It’s the lack of transparency that’s causing so much of the issue. I mean, that’s literally why this thread was created in the first place - not knowing if they were still being offered.

3 Likes

Sooo- letter arrived today saying Intelligent Finance are closing our accounts. Not a surprise but it looks like they are winding up the bank. Monzo this is your last chance! Where’s the Joint Account button?