Apple WWDC 2019

Lets get it right though, you do get a Polishing Cloth!!!

Even if I were someone with a billion pounds I can still see the value in something. I’d never dream of a £5,999 computer but I didn’t bat an eyelid because I assume it’s worth that cost.

The stand really isn’t. It’s not the cost, it’s the value to it. And even the hardcore Apple fans (and rememeber developers are also using really top range Mac’s to develop too - they knew how crazy the number of orchestras on the Mac Pro demo was, so they must have some concept of the Pro range) were aghast at the stand price.

It’s not even slightly justifyable, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Repeating my question from earlier - Do you not think they could have charged $6999 for the screen and stand, and people would have still been happy as it would still be a cheaper, better monitor than anything else.

It’s really about our own perception on what is “worth it” to us… But again, we aren’t the target.

At least this way people can have the option to purchase without the stand if they don’t want - Although I’d imagine it would be 50/50…

1 Like

This is the issue though - it’s subjective not objective - friends have screamed at me for buying a MacBook Pro when I could get a better Windows Laptop - the value add is negotiable - the stand looks pretty cool, allows you to rotate the screen horizontal/ vertical, better viewing angles etc - and those who have already invested in a VESA mount (which if you are running a multiple screen setup I would guess already have VESA mounts) will only need to buy an adapter (£299 ish).

Would you rather pay an extra £500-£999 for the stand to be in box when you might never need the stand? It makes sense to me even though I would personally never buy it.

We also have this option:

It’s entirely plausible that you’ll just be able to prop up the $4,999 display with a hunk of cardboard or by leaning it up against a wall. Just be careful not to drop it.

Site: The Verge - Apple Display

1 Like

Like I said, if you can name another product that has had audible gasps from an audience who are already paying £1,000’s to be there then I’ll stand down.

Otherwise we will just be going around in circles. That stand isn’t just another “high priced Apple product” and I struggle with any argument otherwise.

(I did take a tiny bit of time to ask our media team at the university I work at about this this morning and while they will be purchasing some of the Mac Pro’s, they literally laughed at the stand price. It’s a tiny survey, admittedly, but they are the target audience)

1 Like

Again, not wishing to keep going over old ground, and I’m fully with you on the perception of it - When I saw it I actually lol’d - It would appear to be ridiculous, and you will really struggle to convince ordinary people of it’s value.

But like I said, Apple could have charged $6999, included the stand and there probably wouldn’t have been any quarrels - Perhaps the odd person would say “I don’t need the stand, I wish they did it without”…

Is $999 for a stand (all be it a very nice one from the seems of things) worth it? No.

Will it make a difference to people spending over $13,000 (likely much more) for a computer and screen… No.

2 Likes

I think Samsung sell a 65 inch TV that is the same quality as Apples display and the same price … but it is 65 inches for the price. Not sure if it has a stand :grin: .

1 Like

I struggled to convince people who are not ordinary of its value.

Essentially you will get those people who will need one, therefore buy one, but it will be a tough sell regardless.

If the stand really costs $999, sure. If not, it’s one of the products Apple should sell almost at cost, as it’s a basic requirement (I believe) of a computer screen to come with a stand.

This is a company held higher for its ethics, and since they make money from its ethos, I believe firmly in holding them to account in this one.

They buy $30k monitors?

They don’t, the TVs are no where near the same quality.

1 Like

What scares me is folk are going to pay $5999 for screen, $999 for stand and $5999 for mac (around $13K) on preorder. Quack :duck: me, I am an Apple user but c’mon… I think they went a little bit too far with this one… :thinking: I can easily build alternative which is going to be more powerful and cheaper but on Windows :frowning_face:

1 Like

Realistically people are probably going to spend more like $10k on the Mac Pro on average once they spec it out to their needs , maybe $25k for a decked out one if needed.

They likely will do. It’s some of the top of the range equiptment used both commercially and for private sector use.

As a workplace, we are fully Apple (even the lowly administrative staff such as me have MacBooks) so it’s not surprising that a computer and monitor that finally will allow them to do what they want/need to within the Apple ecosystem rather than a lot of go-arounds to make non-Apple products work will be a worthy investment for them and their team.

It’s pretty decent equiptment for AI and VR, which we have a lot of work going into making right now. Our VR workspaces in particularly have increased massively over the last few years, to make fully immersive VR experiences.

Is that an opinion or do you have the specs to compare?

Did they not compare to what’s on the market currently? Or was that just the Mac Pro?

If the bottom end of the Mac Pro scares you The Verge have done a deep dive into the likely cost of a fully kitted out Mac Pro (spoiler: its around $50,000 for the whole workstation)

Citation: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/6/3/18651208/apple-mac-pro-how-much-top-spec-price-estimate-ballpark

In that case they wouldn’t blink an eye for a 1k monitor stand when the monitor is almost 1/4 the price of what they normally pay.

Honestly that’s the competition they’re looking at, their 5/6k monitor against 30k monitors.

It’s basic knowledge… TVs are not monitors, they don’t provide the latency, colour accuracy, speed, refresh rate, profiles, etc. The list goes on. One is made for media consumption, the other is made for production they just serve two different purposes.

You’d be doing your eyes a disservice in the long run if your sitting in front of a tv for a computer screen for long hours even compared to normal monitors.

However perhaps I’m wrong and they do actually do a 10bit 60Hz 1000nit sustained brightness, Matt finish , p3 colour space tv? (It doesn’t exist).

1 Like

Sigh.

I don’t think you quite understand.

I’m not saying people won’t buy it, because they will. But your earlier point that the target audience won’t bat an eyelid isn’t necessarily true. It’s the valuing of a stand in and of itself at that price that is shocking. I found some people who will purchase it, but they can still laugh at the valuing of a stand at £1,000.

I sense that we will have to agree to disagree here.

Sounds like a pretty decent monitor then and definitely worth the price. But does the stand have any extra functionality? I’m just really struggling to understand how the price can be justified.

All I can see is a blatant cash grab, a monitor stand at the same price as their phone, it’s just nuts.

2 Likes

Oh yeah absolutely. £1k stand, you’d have a good laugh then buy 50 of them for your 50 monitors :man_shrugging:

Done it before all the time with products, good laugh at the price then buy it.

1 Like

The stand itself has a new type of mounting system (looks to be exclusive to apple and the Mac Pro) which allows for the monitor to swivel from horizontal to vertical and the hinge itself allows for better viewing angles - apart from that, that is about it.

Probably not worth the $999 price tag - but then would you pay $6,999 for the monitor if it came with the stand or $6,000 and then $999 for both - which feels like more of a “rip-off”?

For those that won’t need the stand they’ll be happy, for those that do, unfortunately right now its $999