Apple WWDC 2019

Do you think it would have been better to charge $7000 and include the stand?

1 Like

$200 for the vesa mount… possibly on the pricey side. VESA stuff is very variable. But honestly not even worth taking a second thought about.

The stand you’re likely better off going the vesa route. $800 on vesa brackets and a nice $1000 vesa arm system and you have a lot more flexability.

2 Likes

I used to do B2B sales at an Apple Reseller, and once you’re dealing with high end photography studios and TV studios etc, these costs don’t even scratch the surface. That base spec Mac Pro will do well, but the people buying them will go and buy even more stuff to put in them from elsewhere. Same with that monitor, which sounds insanely good. Any home user that is looking at them wondering why they cost so much won’t get it because we wouldn’t even make them break stride power wise.

I honestly watched that event last night and felt really happy with it. It gave pro users what they have been asking for, and that is a return to an Apple that I’ve missed.

The stuff for us normal people as well was ace. Sign in with Apple looks mint. The fact that they’re allowing a lot of the new stuff to be used with 3rd party apps as well is good. No more missing things on WhatsApp because I don’t use iMessage!

6 Likes

I think people would likely feel less ripped off paying for it that way as they don’t know the split cost between the two parts.
They may deem that cost still acceptable for that quality screen.

Although it’s more transparent charging the way they do.

Saying all that, people who buy this won’t care about an extra £999 either way :sweat_smile:. It’s not for people like me.

Also - those likely to be looking at dropping this sort of money will likely already have a set up and therefore already have a VESA mount - since I believe it is a standardised mount - the new monitor will fit the already bought wall bracket - so therefore shaving the price by a £999 stand or a £899 bracket - the individual buying that monitor will actually be happy

2 Likes

It’s great apple are caring about the “pro” user again.

As you say @G13nnL it’s what they’ve been asking for.

2 Likes

I’ll come back to what I said previously (for the last time, I promise :joy:) - “People” who are buying this stuff really won’t see the prices at all.

They’ll see new, marketing leading equipment, and they’ll want it.

Business/professionals won’t break the price down like we do - They will either buy it because they want it/need it - Or they won’t.

If anything, they’ll be happier the price is broken down if they don’t need the stand - Better that way than having to pay for the stand they won’t use.

Again though, people here are looking at it as if we are going to be buying this stuff… We won’t.

2 Likes

By the looks of it you’ll still need the vesa mounting bracket for the monitor, that then allows for standard vesa mounting.

I’d also hazard a guess and say the majority of those buying it will be businesses and thus likely to have a tax cut on it and so another “drop” in the overall price - £20k for a few monitors when they are on say a multi-million pound contract will be nothing in the long run.

Does it not just come with the holes already there in the back? I’ve not looked at it in full so wasn’t sure if you needed the bracket and a stand/arm.

I don’t think so, the monitor is built to accept a stand by default though a particular mounting system so the vesa bracket is needed to connect to a vesa mount or arm.

1 Like

Ahh I see - point still stands that the arm/stand will already have been purchased (which can be a ridiculous amount themselves) so dropping £399 odd on a bracket wont seem so bad - oh how I wish to be able to say that personally one day :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Don’t forget reclaimed tax, so these are actually a little cheaper than they seem.

Still I get the stand it’s weird, everything else is not bad.

Oh yeah I did mention that above!

It looks like one of those “Apple” things where they release something and then go “would you like fries with that”.

The fries being a slightly better stand…

[citation needed]

I can’t find that information anywhere…

1 Like

I read it mentioned somewhere, let me look.

I didn’t think I came with one which made more sense (decide what you want and not have a useless lump of metal you don’t need), but read somewhere it came with a ‘basic’ stand. The apple site doesn’t list a stand https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/specs/ which makes more sense. But I need to find where I saw that info.

True. But this is the first time I heard audible gasps and groans from the WWDC audience when pricing for anything was announced. I can’t remember any other time.

2 Likes

Ah OK, so I think it read wrong (apologies). I think the confusion was that old monitors came with a stand but didn’t list a stand in the specs. This monitor doesn’t list a stand in the specs, but it also doesn’t show any stand either.

I don’t think it comes with a stand, which actually makes more sense to me considering Apples environmental goals, and the people this targets. Otherwise you’d just see 100k apple stands in a skip.

1 Like

There probably wondering is the stand is made from silver. :smile: It better be lol

1 Like

That’s fair - but what I would say is that those in attendance are there for the software (hence it being a software event) - the prices are the prices and if you want a ‘truly pro’ device - that is what you’ll pay - even the $999 for the stand.

@nickh has said it better than I ever could above - us mere peasants will feel disgusted at a £40k plus set up - those who will spend that won’t.