With the release this week of the OBWG report into banking APIs i’ve been thinking of other things we could do with our API that would add value.
These aren’t on the Mondo roadmap (afaik), there just ideas I’ve been thinking of.
Please let me know what you think, what concerns you’d have and what other similar ideas you’ve thought of.
Access to Reference data. We could make available data we’ve curated like:
- FX Rates on certain days
- Merchant logos
- Other merchant details like address
Anonymised data (if we’re super confident it’s not in anyway identifiable)
- Spend by location/time/merchant
Merchant Access to our API
I like the idea that merchants could register as owners of a particular terminal/store, probably confirmed by making a series of small transactions on a mondo card (say 6 sub-one pound transactions that we use as a one time token.)
Merchants would then be sent a webhook (and have API access) to some data when a Mondo card is used at this terminal/store. The card owners details would be hashed in some way, unique to the customer and store combination.
This would allow merchants to build things like:
- Loyalty cards (we could have a refund-this-txn with this message/image endpoint)
- The ability to send offers to mondo customers who’ve just used their store. (similar to how stores print offers on the back of their receipts.)
- The ability to send line item receipts to enrich the transaction (how amazing would it be to get the calories data added to your next Pret purchase, or the warranty info for your next 4K TV.)
We could make all these things public, or we could restrict it to Mondo Customers/developers (all the better to block it, if we discover abuse…)
I’m incredibly excited by what our hackathon attendees have built already, but i think there’s so much more we could do with APIs, beyond just providing You access to Your Data.