An update on getting interest paid on savings

Agreed, especially if they have a working product in staff testing. Unless there are major issues I would guess that at least a lab version would arrive :soon:

It sounds like he is already using Starling

16 Likes
11 Likes

Wonder what the balance was to achieve that?

4 Likes

£1000 :pray:

2 Likes

Wonder if this will be a Monzo Labs item :thinking:?

Is this how it works?

(3800*0.01337)/12 = 4.23

If so the balance was exactly £3800 at 1.337%, or maybe £3333 at 1.525%, or £4056 at 1.25%, or if you’re feeling extremely optimistic - £1015 at 5%.

13 Likes

You impress me, @kennygrant :grinning:

My guess would be that this is coming at the end of October/beginning of November. Why? The screenshot is giving a summary of October’s interest… Yet we’re not there yet!

Yeah, my guess is theyll rush it out just before the end of the month so they can include it in their monthly summary also. Be a bit of a bland month with just bill splitting coming out of labs otherwise?

What are we thinking, a match to Starling at 0.5% or a match to Marcus at 1.5% … I’d be quite happy with in between.
(updated starling’s interest rate)

Thought starling was 0.5%?

3 Likes

I gave up waiting for Monzo to do this so I opened a Marcus account. However if they better it or even match the rate I’m happy to move my money back. Rather have it in one place.

1 Like

I think itll be in between… somewhat slightly lower than shawbrooks direct offering.

I also opened a marcus account. 1.5% was just too hard to turn down

1 Like

Starling have 0.5% on everything (balance and Goals).

I would expect Monzo to have a rate around 1% - Maybe a touch higher.

I don’t think they’ll hit the 1.5% of Marcus though.

2 Likes

0.5% up to £ 2000 ? if it is Shawbrook :man_shrugging: the fixed interest rate - 1.3% to 1.4% (?) would be on the whole deposit up to £85 000 on easy access account

1 Like

Yeah, to be honest, I’m still surprised there is as much interest (no pun intended) on this subject.

Unless people hold 10’s of thousands of pounds in their Monzo account, they will barely see any difference.

Sure, that extra quid or two is nice to have, and something is better than nothing… But given how easy it is to open a Marcus account, or any other interest bearing account that offers competitive rates… I’m not sure having a Pot that accrues interest with Monzo is going to really make much financial difference to people.

I can see people moving their very easy access money, which might be in another current account (Starling for example), over to a Monzo Pot.

But I doubt people would move their money from an easy access savings account to Monzo, unless the rate is better.

6 Likes

I could see people using the coin jar or IFTTT to accrue money into a pot that they have then forgotten about because its been done automatically, and then having that money “swept” into a savings account, this theory obviously falls down on the rumoured £1000 opening balance amount :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My guess exactly.

2 Likes