A big update to connected accounts

Good way to test it right? :wink:

I’ve noticed it’s been more stable for some time now, not had this issue happen again. Really happy with the feature :+1:

1 Like

Hi there, will the missing transactions from Nationwide credit card ever be fixed? It’s currently displaying zero transactions. Others have reported the same too. Cheers

It now seems clear that customers cannot rely on Monzo to properly support connected accounts or to maintain the integrity of existing data:

Quite how a bank can unilaterally delete back data in a paid for service without notice to customers is baffling.

This is a massive pity given that Trends, whilst not perfect, is otherwise best in category. It’s just a shame that I can no longer trust any of the data in it because Monzo might have decided to delete it.

12 Likes

Any chance of an ETA for Virgin credit cards?

3 Likes

I think @Peter_G is now the grim reaper of the forum. He’s always here and he’s always watching, but if you make him post, you’ve fucked up.

21 Likes

This is great but not being able to do that with the joint accounts is so annoying

Any update on Virgin fixing things their end?

3 Likes

Improvement Suggestion: Multi-Account Aggregation Feature for Monzo

Background:
Currently, users are unable to connect more than one Monzo account to view and analyze overall trends in transactions across multiple personal Monzo accounts within the same interface. This limitation prevents users, such as those with family members who also have personal Monzo accounts, from having a comprehensive understanding of their collective financial trends and making informed financial decisions.

1. Description:
  • Introduce a feature that allows users to connect multiple personal Monzo accounts within a single user interface.
  • This feature should enable users to view, manage, and analyze transactions from all connected Monzo accounts, offering a holistic view of their finances.
  • Transactions from all connected accounts should be tagged and identifiable according to the account they originated from.
  • Provide a consolidated dashboard that displays overall financial trends, analytics, and insights across all connected accounts.
  • Implement privacy controls and permission settings to ensure that account holders can choose what information is shared and visible to other connected account users.
  1. User Stories:
  • As a Monzo customer, I want to connect my wife’s Monzo account with mine, so that we can have a unified view of our expenses and manage our budget more effectively.
  • As a financial manager of my household, I need to see all transactions from my family’s Monzo accounts in one place to better track our spending habits and savings.
  1. Benefits:
  • Improved financial management for families and partners who use separate Monzo accounts but want a combined overview for budgeting and tracking expenses.
  • Enhanced user experience by providing more flexibility in how users can manage multiple accounts.
  • Increased value proposition of Monzo as a comprehensive financial management platform that can cater to complex customer needs.
2 Likes

You could use a joint account for joint spending and saving.

Your family’s personal accounts are… well, personal.

2 Likes

No chance of this happening. That has abusive financial control written all over it.

13 Likes

I was attempting to be diplomatic.

3 Likes

There’s a time for diplomacy and there’s a time for revels. This one calls for revels.

8 Likes

Do you share a Facebook and email too?

1 Like

Totally agree, no bank would give this level of control. Personal finances are personal finances. Financial abuse is a thing.

2 Likes

Hi @SlavaVolokha & welcome :wave:

Simple answer: a Monzo Joint account.
‘Linked’ Personal accounts will never happen.

A Monzo Joint account connects @MrsW and me. We see the same financial info and make financial decisions together. But I ‘manage’ it on a day-to-day basis. The key is simple communication, don’t just do something because it is right for you, talk to the other person & go through everything. This is ENTIRELY a relationship issue and has nothing to do with any services offered by banks. Some services just make it easier to collate data to allow more informed decisions with finances.

I also use(d) Virtual cards funded by my Personal Premium account to be used by the JuniorW’s to allow them to spend money using Apple Pay on their phones before they are old enough for their own accounts. One KiddoW is now 16 and so has their own Monzo 16-17 yo account. I don’t see this account, have no control over it and wouldn’t even begin to want to. It’s entirely theirs. How else would they learn?

It’s a very fine line between control, potential abuse, and mutual convenience. We’re in the last category with the Joint account but sadly not everyone is.

6 Likes

I think we’re all in danger of reading one thing and making statements based on assumption or alternatives here.

I appreciate that this might have signs but if we were to look at this from an innocent viewpoint might there ever be a use case without ulterior motives?

For example the ability for both people to see total spending and tracking finances in one place. I appreciate that a lot of people have a joint account for this.

Use case: My wife and I have never bothered with a joint account. She gets a set amount each month to cover the mortgage and half the bills.

We have personal bills and we pay them. Apps like lumio might be useful to see all spend to see how things are going.

Just putting alternative views out there. I’m fully against any form of coercing or controlling behaviour for the record.

5 Likes

Are there valid use cases? Sure.

Do any of them warrant the bank building what is essentially an overzealous very easy to abuse feature to facilitate it? I don’t think so.

It’s also worth noting here, that the use case described, is not, in my view, a valid use case where this would be beneficial. There are already better, pre-existing solutions for that use case.

5 Likes

I agree with you not to read into the situation described.

But I do think we need to spell out why what is being asked for is not something a bank can or should offer. Full stop. It enables financial abuse and coercive control - illegal in case there’s any doubt.

Shared money (and shared liability) is a joint account.

If you choose to share more details between partners, that’s totally ok. As long as there is agreement in the relationship to do so, but that won’t be facilitated by a bank for you.

But, and importantly, I want to stress nobody has a right to access a partner’s personal financial information which includes what they choose to spend their money on. It doesn’t matter if you’re the financially savvy one in the relationship, or the one who likes to balance the books. It also doesn’t matter if you have shared possessions and bills. It also doesn’t matter if your partner is a compulsive overspender and you’re left picking up the tab. It also doesn’t matter if your partner is spending all their money on an affair. It’s their money. You are entitled to privacy and to choose what, if anything, you wish to share within your relationship.

8 Likes

Zable credit card support please :slightly_smiling_face:

Just renewed my Amex account as the 90 days had expired. When I did so, the card has not picked up the silver colour and Amex branding it used to have. It is now a generic blue. I’ve tried moving it in and out of being a pinned account (I have that feature enabled in labs) and refreshing but that hasn’t helped.

I guess I could recreate the connection from scratch but wanted to ask if this was a known issue here first and if there were any ideas?