3D Secure Autofill (iOS)

Hey @Rika @kennethcajigas

Just to let you know this is happening to me again on the Amex app. I’m able to get the autofill option elsewhere in the app but not when Monzo 3D Secure is running.

2 Likes

It’s started happening to me again too. For a while Monzo was auto-approving the 3DS in the Amex app for me, but now it has started with the SMS verification codes again and the autofill isn’t working.

1 Like

It’s been very flaky for me recently, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I’m on 13.2.3.

Any reason for that? Will you provide an lternative as some banks still terminate the transaction as soon as you leave the app which means it is impossible to use Monzo to pay for those. It is also conveininent to approve transactions just by looking at the code from my Watch instead of having to use the app, enter my pin and do that lengthy process.

3 Likes

I second this. I can’t pay off my Barclaycard in-app without SMS authentication.

@Rika what’s the timeframe for this move to version 2, and is there any reason Amex has stopped auto-authorising payments?

SMS works for me.

This would render me unable to make payments as my the app does not work on iOS8

Wow. As above, terribly customer unfriendly and will stop some transactions processing.

Having issues with 3D secure where it doesn’t give an in app option to authenticate Amex payments - only text messages.

@Rika has there been any change since the 16th of September ? Only started happening in the past week or so where it doesn’t do the in-app authentication option.

What device are you running ??

6, but I don’t want to update it.

Why ???

Actually how are you running the monzo app, says it needs iOS 9 or newer :eyes:

Let’s keep this thread on topic.

Strong Customer Authentication required us to stop auto-approving these payments as they do not meet any of the legal exemptions.

Yes, we added Barclaycard and American Express back to the SMS list until we can either work out another solution just for these two, or they fix their in-app 3D Secure flows. From the discussions we have had, they were built with the assumption that banks would just return approved automatically.

I did spend some time trying to fix autofill but it looks like it’s something specific to the in-app web views on iOS and a version of iOS as autofill still works from the actual Safari app in my tests.

For those with some iOS engineering knowledge, based on my tests so far, WKWebView content seems to not work with autofill anymore, SFSafariViewController sometimes does, ASWebAuthenticationSession does, and full Safari does.

I’m supporting this on a best effort basis with the very little documentation Apple publishes. Autofill is an Apple feature, not a Monzo feature and while I can add hinting to the page to tell iOS that autofill should be used where available, I can’t force it to happen.

7 Likes

Thanks for the previous update Rika. Do you know whether the Amex app 3D Secure will be tweaked to work with autofill? Or is it something Amex have to fix?

It’s just strange to have autofill available everywhere (including on the rest of Amex and Monzo apps) but just not when 3D Secure is in the Amex app (also works on 3DS in Barclaycard app so it does seem to be working elsewhere).

If it’s an Autofill issue, wouldn’t that affect other areas where autofill is present?

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.