Zopa Discussion

Well no, of course not, but this is a faster payment directly between bank accounts so should be as quick as a current to current account payment, in my experience.

Not criticising, just saying. I don’t profess to be an expert, but if my experience can help other posters, so much the better. And vice versa.

Just saying that it’s not necessarily just all about the headline rate.There are also things such as the Company ethos, and the customer experience, in terms of support and computer systems and speed, efficiency and competence. For instance, I like my initial transaction to be a small test transaction, to check that I will be eventually transferring funds to the correct bank account, and not somewhere else in error. Some institutions will not let you do that, and insist that you transfer the minimum account balance immediately, such as CSB. So they lose my business. My personal preference. I also prefer monthly interest to annual.

I’m aware that there is much more account matching and security checking these days. But there is also a lot more scamming, and bureaucracy.

2 Likes

That’s a plus point with Zopa tbf.

4 Likes

Zopa’s easy access saver is now 2.86%

2 Likes

Do you know what the boost rates are, please?

1 Like

I can only see the 95 day (I have that one) and it’s 3.26%

Edit: I just checked their website for the other rates and they’re incorrect/out of date.

1 Like

7 days at 2.91%
31 days at 3.06%
95 days at 3.26%

3 Likes

Thanks both!

2 Likes

Beating Tandem presently - which is semi why I left the Zopa open

Can I be bothered to move it? Not just yet lol

1 Like

Currently mulling over moving everything from Santander back to Zopa. I have a considerable amount saved and moving it to the instant access tier with Zopa would be at least £30 per annum. Factor in the boosted pots and there’s even more to be made.

The BoE rate only increased yesterday, so I’ll see what other savings rates do first.

1 Like

Perhaps best to sit it out at least a week or so - but it is good how quickly they up things

Shame it’s funding fairly high APR credit cards? :thinking:

I’ve seen them offer a limit to people with a lot of existing credit card debt

Anyway - I digress…

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I did last night.

Why though? That’s an extra week of extra interest to be made. Nowadays it’s so easy and fast to move money around. I do it for the extra pennies, but also to give the banks a message - never stop offering the max or you will lose my (pathetic amount of) money.

I think I’ve just done it so often prior to reaching a particular financial milestone that I’ve got fatigue - that and a few things being held up for checks which have definitely had a higher opportunity cost than the extra pounds and pennies :rofl:

Meanwhile Chase had yesterday finally become competitive again by increasing its rate to 2.7% from 4th of January 2023, but that has now been overtaken by events.

Serves as a reminder though to check when any increase is applicable from, and whether it is immediate or deferred. OakNorth has also gone down the deferred route.

I have nested my 95 day accounts and it finally caught up today.

I now get 3.26% with access in 14 days.

As that pot matures, empty, place what I don’t need in the next one, due to mature mid January, and keep going. Took 7 pots, activated at 14 day intervals :grin:

5 Likes

Zopa expert badge unlocked!

4 Likes

Meanwhile Chase had yesterday finally become competitive again by increasing its rate to 2.7% from 4th of January 2023, but that has now been overtaken by events. Serves as a reminder though to check when any increase is applicable from, and whether it is immediate or deferred. OakNorth has also gone down the deferred route.

Zopa’s finally written. I do like it when they stay in touch:

We’re getting in touch to let you know that rates for our Smart Saver are changing. Here’s what that means for you:

• The new rate for your Access pots will be: 2.86% AER* variable (2.82% gross**). This was applied to your account on 15/12/22. The old rate was: 2.40% AER* variable (2.37% gross**).
  • The new rate for your 7 Day Boosted pots will be: 2.91% AER* variable (2.87% gross**). This was applied to your account on 15/12/22. The old rate was: 2.45% AER* variable (2.42% gross**).
  • The new rate for your 31 Day Boosted pots will be: 3.06% AER* variable (3.01% gross**). This was applied to your account on 15/12/22. The old rate was: 2.60% AER* variable (2.56% gross**).
  • The new rate for your 95 Day Boosted pots will be: 3.26% AER* variable (3.21% gross**). This was applied to your account on 15/12/22. The old rate was: 2.80% AER* variable (2.76% gross**).

You don’t need to do anything. We’ll automatically adjust the interest rates for your Smart Saver.

Thanks,

The Zopa team

*AER stands for Annual Equivalent Rate. It shows what the interest rate would be after a full year, including the compound interest you’ll get from paying you interest each month.

**Gross is the rate we apply to your money and is without any deductions for tax.

1 Like

Good news! I’m pleased to see that Zopa are continuing to be competitive, and that they’re raising the rates on their existing accounts, rather than issuing new accounts with higher rates and letting the loyal/lazy customers suffer.

2 Likes

If you move some funds from a boosted pot to an accessible pot does it provide a separate accessible pot or just one accessible pot ie if you have an accessible pot already do the funds get added to that pot? Also if your boosted pot becomes accessible do you receive the accessible rate of interest? Hope this makes sense.