Why would I use this?

This is not cool, and the post has been flagged.

1 Like

Lots of small companies and startups develop an iPhone app and then play catch-up with the android.

Irritating as I find that, being an android user myself, there are reasons behind it (such as the ease of supporting only a handful of different hardware sets instead of the hundreds that android had)

1 Like

The reasons why most companies develop for iPhone first are mentioned towards the end of this thread by myself and @alexs

1 Like

Hey! Fellow Android user (Nexus 6P) here.

And, I work here at Monzo :slight_smile:

Spending categories just launched! Lots more to come over the next couple of months. Itā€™s true that right now thereā€™s a handful of features in the iOS app that arenā€™t yet on Android, but our Android developers are truly fantastic and working very hard to add the missing bits!

As for why youā€™d use us : Real time notifications, spending categories, GPS data for all transactions, no fees when spending or withdrawing cash abroad, youā€™ll always get the best exchange rateā€¦and much more!

3 Likes

So, in other words, donā€™t expect Diamonds and Pearls just yetā€¦ but maybe in a couple of months time the iOS app will no longer be the Cream of the crop, Android users everywhere will be shouting, ā€œU Got the Lookā€ & ā€œLetā€™s Go Crazyā€ and everyone will want to party like itā€™s 1999? :purple_heart:

7 Likes

Youā€™re my new favorite person :joy:

5 Likes

No kidding, I spent USD for first time since getting :monzo: yesterday, for a Kickstarter pledge; the rate I got was better than Google: ā€œxUSD in GBPā€, didnā€™t expect that!

1 Like

In a nutshell what are the currency exchange advantages to monzo as oppose other banks?

@Mad You get a better rate than most other card providers and currency exchanges.

Relevant profile pic ?

So is the exchange rate set by mastercard with no fees on top?

Itā€™s just a phase, itā€™s not the most diplomatic way to put it granted, but I (and everybody else possibly) understood what he was trying to say. To flag the post instead of having a word over PM is really petty.

3 Likes

@Mad Exactly right, yes.

See I think this is really where some kind of basic information should be providedā€¦ And saying ā€˜the app is changing we are too busy to document itā€™ isnt really up to public user level for fintech stuff.

I had no idea the card was beta, it doesnt say that on the Monzo site or the google play store pageā€¦ or that the android app wasnt handling most features, so reading blog posts was confusing to say the least.

I had / have no idea on what currency rates and charges the card gives, I still dont to be honest, I read its ā€˜better thanā€™ but better than what ?? at what cost on top of mid rates or ?? I will run some cash through a series of Thai ATMs soon and maybe even Laotian ATMS next weekā€¦ But I do almost feel like I am paying fees and risking my money, to debug and beta test.

I like the ideaā€¦ I like being able to pull money from multiple accounts or cards and centralize spendingā€¦ I like the control aspectsā€¦ Theres much to like. But I also feel in the dark about what it should or should not be able to do, what fees there are etc, I wouldnt accept that my bank was this unclear, or that I didnt know my banks fees before I made a transaction.

Try not to take that as complaint, just as a new users impressions having started using it, and where it might be improved for other new users as you grow.

This specifically I have to agree with. I speak only for myself but having the very nice members of this community continue to have to self-document a constantly evolving product here on the forums is not a long term, sustainable solution for the masses. Most of us here are trying to figure things out along with everyone else and putting the various posts of team members together. It is slowly getting better but as someone who writes significant amounts of documentation for community projects, thereā€™s still a long way to go.

5 Likes

Hardly, the implication being that people with red hair and or step-children are somehow inferior to everyone else. The fact that this prejudice seems to be generally accepted doesnā€™t make it right. And yes I have red hair, and so do my 2 children who will no doubt have to suffer abuse as they grow up.

2 Likes

yes it is just a phrase and I have both heard it before and understood it, but I regard it as rather archaic and likely to be used by say grandparents generation rather than an adult of today.

1 Like

Even if I agree with what you are saying, which I donā€™t as I think you are
possibly being extremely thin skinned as you could of spoken to the
individual instead of flagging the post. (You did not answer me when I made
this point the first time so Iā€™ll ask it again.)

Itā€™s all about being confident. I think if people were more confident they
would not let throw away comments impact them. Things like that happen in
life, in which we all at some point in our life find certain things
offensive or unfair. Itā€™s how you deal with it that counts.

P.S. Remember as bad as it gets youā€™re still a white male so you still have
a born privilege that most donā€™t have. What I mean by that is donā€™t worry
about the little things just keep your eyes on the big picture. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree itā€™s not a comment I would use but I understand why the phase was used. As itā€™s true Android users are hard done by but I digress.

I feel people generally are too quick to be offended about things when sometimes a little step back and a bit of understanding works wonders.

2 Likes

Wait, is that not the topic? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like