When will Monzo support Apple Pay?

I’m sure you’re right but I think Ben’s highlighted the key points - which aren’t the fees or interchange rates - if you’re trying to get a sense of when Monzo might be able to launch Apple Pay.

3 Likes

The sooner the pre paid goes the better in my eyes. Will free up staff resources for them to concentrate on other things.

5 Likes

Definitely, I was only pointing it out because other people raised concerns on cost. No way any bank in the UK is paying 15 basis points even on credit…

4 Likes

Yes that article is an old one and is American, but the part I was referring to (Supporting 95% of their portfolio) is unlikely to have changed since then, and that stipulation will almost have certainly crossed the pond.

As far as Apple is concerned this makes real sense. once a bank supports Apple pay they get listed on this page:

Which might at first seem insignificant and trivial, but having your bank on there while a good percentage of customers can’t use the service will not just result in a banks customer service getting a battering, but also Apples customer service too.

Google Pay on the other hand clearly doesn’t have this rule, and instead just has a column for ‘unsupported cards’:

https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7351534

My guess here though is that this is because Google, unlike Apple, is unable to lock down NFC chips, and therefore Google Pay will certify any bank, no matter how many cards are supported by them, just because they are so desperate to avoid what Barclays has done on Android which is bypass Google Pay entirely and integrate mobile payments into their own app.

2 Likes

Along with what @alexs said, it’s important to keep in mind Monzo support Google Pay (they have done since October 2017) and Google charge similar fees for Google Pay.

1 Like

Because is a PUBLIC forum for feedback. :scream:

I’m confused by some of the messages I’m reading here,

If we use Google Pay… Are we losing Monzo money? Like, should I stop and use the card instead? :S

No one knows the exact commercial terms as they’re under NDA. They’re probably paying for it, though there are rumours Google doesn’t charge. However they’re pretty much certainly paying less than interchange so they don’t lose money they just probably make a tiny bit less than when you use the card. At least for me that’s offset by me using the card far more…

2 Likes

This is a super interesting discussion, but can we take it to another topic re the laws and such if you wanna discuss :+1:

Thanks! :hugs:

9 Likes

Idk… Felt right to quote this… To bump it a bit…

:yum:

2 Likes

As Beth said

Still I guess it is a pleasant change from the usual grumbles about Apple Pay :wink:

3 Likes

So move the discussion. Move the posts, surely?

Where’s Alex when you need him? :joy:

12 Likes

Busy being shouted at in another thread :joy::joy:

15 Likes

Edit - It looks like that wasn’t a reply to a question about Apple Pay, they were talking about Android’s fingerprint lock feature..

Thread:

4 Likes

Yeah, my mistake!

It just went like this and looked like part of the same thread :smile:

mt

9 Likes

Fixed

16 Likes

This is truly bizarre. Where’s it from?

3 Likes

I’m completely lost.

That’s WhatsApp and Tim Cook, CEO of Apple.

3 Likes

Gotcha!

Idea 7/10 (for the lulz)
Delivery 2/10

I’ll give it an E for effort.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes