When will Monzo support Apple Pay?

I think there is more chance of there being a baby between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle before Monzo launch Apple Pay.

10 Likes

What do you do when you loose your card?

Panic :wink:

Ask for a replacement.

It definitely does, though it seems to be contact-only in the UK. I know in Austria they issue contactless D-PAS cards (Dinerā€™s Club), so presumably they can be used somewhere there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Youā€™ve done it. Hopes are up. Damn you.

I wonder if Apple Pay is linked to the Current Account Switching Service and if they have to wait until everyone is onboard before being able to consider it. If thatā€™s the case we can wait couple of months before having it. Just pure speculation.

No CASS is BACS. The two are not related to each other.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a shameā€¦ wouldā€™ve been more useful it it were able to.

Although, Iā€™m not 100% sure what the use case for it is anyway.

We should probably say ā€œif Apple Pay comesā€ at this point, rather than ā€œwhen Apple Pay comes.ā€

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure it is coming, itā€™s a major mobile payments platform used by millions of people worldwide. Itā€™d be silly for them not to support it.

Why theyā€™re taking their time to bring it to us is unclear though, and I wish they would (could) tell us :frowning:

Liam

3 Likes

Iā€™m being facetious, and a little bit petty because itā€™s a striking and worrying omission for a bank of the future, especially considering they support Google Pay.

I know itā€™s probably unfair for us to give them a hard time about it and itā€™s very possibly all Appleā€™s fault, but the wait is very frustrating and venting on here helps :smile:

3 Likes

The tokenisation system that powers both Google Pay and Apple Pay is called MDES.

So, on a tech level, there is very little difference between whatā€™s needed for both systems to run.

That said, obviously Google and Apple have vastly different certification processes. Beyond that, Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t have any more to offer other than Apple Pay is something we know people want to use and that we really want to offer.

Iā€™ll simply add that we are very committed to everything that appears on our public roadmap :grinning:

17 Likes

This is probably closer to what the hold up is. With the processing being done in house, there might be more hoops to jump through.

2 Likes

Definitely sounds like its ready from Monzoā€™s part, just waiting on Appleā€¦ the time it took from announcement to the HomePod coming out weā€™ll have some wait yet :rofl:

Iā€™d suggest you read Simonā€™s post again, thereā€™s no hint of that whatsoeverā€¦

This is a fact / insight into the process that heā€™s decided to share, not a reason -

5 Likes

Iā€™ll Apple Pay you the cost of a fligā€¦ Oh wait, no I canā€™tā€¦ Sorry.

2 Likes

Maybe Apple need to see it working without issues internally before they let it go public, as if it doesnā€™t work or something breaks itā€™s their image that gets damaged (and Apple like their imageā€¦ I think)?

So, it probably is Apple requiring months and months of internal tests and certifications before letting run publicly (and as has been mentioned, Apple put everything behind an NDA, so weā€™re not allowed know about this process :frowning: ).

That wouldnā€™t be possible even if Monzo did have Apple Payā€¦ :wink:

Liam

2 Likes

Sometimes I wish there was no Danny :wink:

4 Likes

How would you know that without insider knowledge?