What's the last bit of tech you bought?

Lots of variables here - existing switch types/ratings, cable sizes, immersion heater type (top loading or side-loading)? to figure out what current the element can draw.

Once you know this, you can install WiFi enabled switches in circuit (which exceed the max current rating of the immersion heater element) and leave the physical switches ‘On’. The WiFi switch then controls the on/off feed to the Immersion heater. If installed properly in one of the switch housings, you won’t even see them. You can even get power monitoring ones to see how much power each connected device uses and when.

3kwh not 9, not sure where I got that from.

Then outside just a plain switch like a light switch with nothing else on it.

Edit:

Guessing I could use something like this?

20a/4400w type control?

1 Like

To bring it back to toothbrushes… I’m about to order the Suri unless anyone can link me a better buy for the same-ish price?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Going off the immersion heater specs, I get it to be about 13Amps that it can draw (max)

Which is a bit strange as the switch and wiring (as shown in your images) seem to be 13 amp types. Usually, a 13 amp load would have 16 amp (at least) devices feeding it. But anyway… the smart immersion WiFi switching device you’ve found on Amazon can handle up to 20 amps, so it’s more than capable in this installation.

Now the fun part - how do you safely install it? If you’re not absolutely 100% positive that you know what you are doing with regards to quality of installation and ongoing safety, don’t guess… get a qualified electrician to connect it. It won’t be that expensive.

1 Like

Oh for sure I won’t do it myself with this type of stuff, my mums partner is an engineer he can do it, I was more curious on the switch type id seen and if it would work for what I want.

1 Like

I’m nearly 9 months into a Suri sub and I love it. New heads every 6 months and the handset itself still lasts about 40 days between charges - and USB-C!

Elegant simplicity which just works. Highly recommended.

Not sure if a referral will still work though as it has been a while… (Referral Wiki: Post/Find Here) - probably the same, or less, as the direct Suri website discounts.

2 Likes

I’m not into expensive brushes, but if I wanted to spend more I’d get this Xiaomi.

It has a pressure sensor which is nice but then it’s got a load of unnecessary bits, shorter battery life and no environmental credentials. What’s the cost of it? I couldn’t see.

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-ELECTRIC-TOOTHBRUSH-T700-EU/dp/B09YV6NKK1

Found this on Amazon

Now wondering if this is the better buy:

Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4300 - Sonic Electric Toothbrush with W2 Optimal White Toothbrush Head, Travel Case and Charger, in Black (Model HX6800/87) https://amzn.eu/d/3s8sqcv

I may have to look into this a bit longer…

FWIW midrange sonicare is always what I’ve had and it’s always served me well. There may be better deals out there for similar products I guess, but I don’t think you can go wrong with them.

1 Like

As I said, I’m not a fan of expensive brushes, they all come with unnecessary bits :person_shrugging:.

1 Like

That seems to be the best price for the Sonicare 4300 after checking the usual places. They also have the A3 brush heads cheaper, especially if I do subscribe and save.

1 Like

£70 from Boots

Or this white one for £45

1 Like

Same price as Amazon then, think I’ll order this and some of the A3 brush heads.

1 Like

So much of the appeal of Suri for me was the recyclable brush heads and the body that will last for years/is repairable. I hated throwing away so much plastic with my old set up.

5 Likes

:eyes:

2 Likes

The fingerprint sensor on my phone started to act up so I decided I would use that as an excuse to upgrade… :rofl:

Settled on the Pixel 8 Pro. In the end after watching reviews and reading about the features. Initially I was worried about breaking my Sony streak. ( I used to use the nexus phones before they went premium with the launch of the Pixels) so far absolutely in love with it. The haptics are what get me, the feel of typing etc is lovely. Love how it actually feels like there’s a “pop” when you swipe something off screen :grin:

9 Likes

4 Likes