What to do if phone is lost/stolen while travelling?

I’m talking about the Monzo Bank current account app. I already messaged them and they seem to be implying they have silently removed this essential feature so far but haven’t replied for ages now…

Ok, please do let us know what they say when they get back to you :raised_hands:

Right now I have no clue. They keep referring to “the blue app”, “the dark blue app”, “the none blue app”. Throughout the interface of both apps there are various shades of blue. The icons also have shades of blue. The apps were given proper names: “Monzo” and “Monzo Bank” where one refers to the original Monzo prepaid app and one, obviously to the bank account. Why have staff be told to use this names that are so ambiguous they are meaningless instead of the proper names?

I’m also getting contradictory information from each app. In one app they are saying it’s impossible to have a hot spare (a fact manifestly disproved by the two prepaid card in front of me that I can instantly switch between by freezing). They also say this feature will be removed once the prepaid card is deactivated.

On the Monzo Bank app, they are saying I need to upgrade the Monzo app and that will then allow me to freeze and order a hot spare. But they are not explaining why I am missing features despite doing free testing for Monzo Bank by being an early adopter and what happens to my existing Monzo Bank account if I upgrade my prepaid to a new current account.

I’m left even more bemused than I was to start with! :sleepy:

The only app you should not be using is called “Monzo”. You download it from the app store as normal. It’s the one that you used for the prepaid card. If you already have a current account with a separate app use the prepaid app and follow the steps to upgrade to a current account. The data between prepaid & current account will merge and you’ll keep your existing current account card while the prepaid card will deactivate.
Any extra apps can then be deleted.
Features should then return.

4 Likes

I thought people were moved off the Current Account Preview app ages ago?

3 Likes

I also thought this was the case but I don’t think the app ever stopped working. Just no longer got updates.

1 Like

I assumed Monzo would have had some popup/window that told people who opened the CA preview app that they need to upgrade but apparently not @Naji @HughWells

Your guess is as good as mine!
People probably shouldn’t have signed up to the preview if they are struggling to get out of it!

1 Like

Apparently not. And I’ve never been informed to stop using it either.

I always assumed I should be using Monzo Bank since they were saying the bank is better the prepaid and haven’t been informed otherwise in any way.

Now they are saying all three cards will be replaced but:
a) my current account card still appears in the app and works fine
b) it’s not clear the correct process for freezing and ordering a replacement. Can I do this with my existing and working preview current account card or will they send me a new one and I then have to wait for this to arrive and be activated before I can finally set up my hot spare via the freezing method again?!

I know I moved off the CA preview around November so I thought everyone else did. You would have missed a few updates by now

I’m not aware of it being possible to have a ‘hot spare’. I think what’s happened is that you have both your prepaid card and your CA card and that’s why you have a hot spare.

Basically, you need to use the main Monzo app, which is the one that started as the prepay app. The Monzo Bank app was a test app that you will need to delete. On the main app, choose to upgrade your account. Your data will merge so all info is in the one app. You will not be sent a new card if your CA debit card is still working. You will simply be able to activate your existing debit card in the upgraded main Monzo app. At that point, your prepaid card will stop working.

Once you’ve upgraded, you will have the latest Monzo app, which includes the ability to order a new card once you’ve frozen your existing one (as shown in @alexs’s screen capture above).

4 Likes

Hi @jph, I’ll look into this for you and make sure someone gets this sorted asap. Thanks.

1 Like

All sorted now thanks. They were contradicting themselves so much but, for anyone else the correct procedure for preview account holders is:

1. Upgrade from Monzo app not Monzo Bank app
  2. Keep existing Monzo Bank current account card - you DO NOT get a replacement automatically.
  3. Destroy both existing Monzo app (prepaid) cards.
  4. To get spare, do not expect a new current account card. Simply freeze existing current account card. After merging this now gives you the option to order a replacement. You don’t need to wait for replacement to arrive to defrost and continue using your existing Monzo current account bank card and keep the new one as a spare once it arrives. I assume you don’t need to activate it immediately either. Please can someone clarify this point?

At some point or another I was advised the opposite on almost all the point above. And they really need to get staff to use the correct names instead of “blue” and “dark blue”!

Not true at all as I have explained repeatedly. It’s always been possible to have a hot spare with the Monzo prepaid app and I have done for months now. Please stop speading manifestly incorrect information (I’ve already said above in this thread that I have done this).

Where should I have seen these updates?!

I remember having read at least two more reports of people having “hot spares” in the day of the prepaid account, so it clearly was possible - I believe in one case a customer was accidentally sent two cards, and told to keep the other as a spare rather than send it back :slight_smile:

they did a post about it on their blog I think, as well as sent an email:

There’s no chance I’d have spare time to check the blog on the offchance there’s a necessary upgrade to be made and the only email I’ve ever received only said it was an option (one that I absolutely did not want to take) and so decided against.

At no point have I ever been informed that I should have upgraded since I got it in October. As for most people moving off in November, the email sent in December explicitly says you can keep your card as it is and don’t have to upgrade!

So any idea that “people were moved off the Current Account Preview app ages ago”, or that Monzo actually did make “some popup/window that told people who opened the CA preview app that they need to upgrade”, say that I “should” upgrade, or they suggested that I “need to use the main Monzo app” or that I was in fact ever even gently encouraged to upgrade aren’t what actually happened :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s not what I said so please don’t misquote me as what I said isn’t false. I suggested that there should have been a popup window NOT that there was one.

Again I said I THOUGHT most people had been moved off it ages ago, I wasn’t stating that everyone had, again not false

2 Likes