What more could we be doing to support financial inclusion?

Thanks for this, we think it’s really interesting. We’d love to hear a little more information about the use case here.

To be clear, it’s folks who ‘live’ in the UK (have residency/citizenship) but actually spend more time abroad? I’m just a little confused as to the proof of address issue - if they are paying bills in the UK, they should be able to use that as PoA.

Or have I got things a bit mixed up? :slightly_smiling_face:

I think it’s more an issue of residency and/or tax residency (for high street banks). To give a concrete example, a UK citizen friend of mine was living abroad when his UK fixed-rate tracker mortgage expired. His bank knowing that he was not currently a UK resident refused to even discuss offering him another product. Other mortgage companies would not entertain offering a mortgage to a non-resident even though there are strong ties to the country. He’s now trapped paying an awful rate with no real options at all. I know Monzo won’t be in the businesses of mortgages but the underlying principle is the same.

There seems to be a big difference in someone outside the UK opening an account and someone who is British and has dealings in the UK, but they are treated the same.

Monzo themselves say that you need a UK address: (UK Resident to non-UK Resident) which is admittedly one of the things being discussed in this thread. My British parents have retired to Portugal, if they sell their UK address their Monzo account would in theory get closed despite getting a UK pension and paying UK bills.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.