What features in a Monzo app would you be willing to pay for?

If they want to increase full Monzo, just put these (suggested paid for features) behind an account threshold… deposit £800 a month or hold x amount over x months. That would bring more revenue to Monzo?

3 Likes

And penalise those of us who can’t go full Monzo but could afford a £15 or so monthly payment?

(can’t really win with any of this stuff, can we!)

Could have both… its free for x threshold or its £x a month

2 Likes

Perhaps the problem with Monzo Plus as a concept is that it is yet another subscription, at a time when everything appears to be a subscription that rarely offers value for money. I don’t think any offering, gated behind a subscription, is really going to work. I for one am sick to the back teeth of subscriptions.

No way. That goes even further from their mission of “making money work for everyone”. You create a two tier customer base of those who have the money and those who don’t.

What do you do if you’re normally over the threshold but then have an expensive month and don’t have enough money in to get them for free? What if they then charge you and that then takes you overdrawn.

Sorry but terrible idea

2 Likes

To continue my devils advocating… I like subscriptions. I’ve switched services away from a number of app that have moved to a subscription model and found better free alternatives on the way! A good way for people to figure out what they really value and will pay for which… errr… may not bode well for Monzo?? Hmmmm.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t matter, what was suggested was not based on the ammout in your account but how much you deposit. The month could be so expensive that you spend all of it but as long as you had deposited ‘x’ amount initially (e.g. your salary/pay) you would be covered for that month.

I do think this approach can exclude those that may need it most though, i.e. they don’t get paid enough to qualify, which would then be worsened if the only way they’d get the features is by paying a subscription.

1 Like

Amen

None. They shouldn’t be paywalling features.

5 Likes

I had not. Thank you

By banking with Monzo and not receiving interest you are paying Monzo for the privilege. Assuming 5k and 1% interest this is costing you £50 a year.

People seem ok with this but not ok with paying a pro fee of £50 :man_shrugging:

True, this is how traditional banks make money. Would be nice if Monzo tried something new.

Everyone loses money in banks. Inflation on average is between 2 & 3% on average, wealth is being eroded everywhere cash is kept.

As others have pretty much covered it, the short answer is no, I wouldn’t.

Throw things behind a paywall and watch the competition grow. The fintech space is getting more and more crowded… one fatal misstep and watch the customers flock to the competitors :grimacing:

5 Likes

I can’t think of a feature that I’d be willing to pay for.

To coin a phrase “me too”

1 Like

Interesting thread. Have to agree with others - I don’t think I’d pay for the features that are already available. That’s like getting your salary cut at work but your duties remain the same. It’s a bit meh…

I still think the supporter bundle should be available. Thus, those who want to make a contribution of like a few quid a month, actually can. Even if it meant a blue card and maybe even a forum badge.

You’re never going to have everyone agree on this but I think it should be optional, similar to what I suggest above.

The difference is Microsoft isn’t making money off of you every time you use Excel. Monzo makes money using the money you give to them (or can) and also makes money if you borrow from them and pay back with interest.

I’m not against ongoing payment for services that are continuously maintained (I’m not anti microtransaction or subscription, though I do have personal preferences over the types of things I’d prefer as this, and the ones I’d prefer to pay for as a one off and get a set thing, as well as thinking there are some basic upkeep things which should be provided without extra spending. However, we all already are providing ongoing payment for Monzo, by lending them our money.

3 Likes

A contribution for what? They’re not a charity.

6 Likes

To keep the Excel analogy going, Microsoft isn’t the only spreadsheet provider in town. If Microsoft decided to lock formulas or pivot tables behind an additional membership tier --for which there are many in Office 365, customers would rightly consider LibreOffice or OpenOffice if it was good enough for their needs.

There are many banks that are good enough already. Monzo needs to focus on making sure its current account is as full-featured as it can be for everyone, not seeking to split the customer base into those that have all of the features and those that don’t.

8 Likes