What are your best 'adulting' tips?

(Kevyn) #22

Having had another think about this thread, I do remember some more advice I took which I think is important. These are quotes taken from the much longer Stanford University commencement speech by Steve Jobs in 2005.

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.

and

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

(Louis Otto) #23

Look after your body first and foremost, you quickly realise that everything else is meaningless in comparison.

(Lawrence L-Dean) #24

I like what @Chapuys mentioned.

You spend most of your life @ work. Find a job you enjoy and are passionate about. You may as well go through life being proud of what you do rather than grinding out each day until that pay cheque comes.

(Andy Hughes) #25

This is true. If you don’t have a healthy body and mind, what have you got, really?

(Stephen Ward) #26

So many things:

• Have empathy and forgiveness, don’t carry grudges, don’t be jealous or bitter. It will eat you alive.

• Realise the only things you can control are your own thoughts and your own actions.

• Realise the universe isn’t out to get you. You’re not a victim.

• Don’t expect only good things to happen. Accept what does happen and deal with it in a positive way.

• Don’t get wrapped up in the endless cycle of consumerism. Learn to appreciate the small things and what you already have.

• Don’t waste time. You can never get it back. Health & time are the most valuable things you have.

• Find someone you love and who loves you and your life will be enriched more than you can imagine.