What are your best 'adulting' tips?

(Andy Hughes) #1

There’s a lot of savvy people on these here forums and I enjoy visiting for all kinds of nuggets of wisdom. What are your best tips that you wish you’d known when you were starting out in the big bad world?

(Splodf) #2

When you think it’s definitely time to start thinking about your pension, you’re about ten years too late.

(If there's the wrong end of a stick, you'll find me holding it.) #3

That finding a job/career enriches you emotionally is far, far more important than finding one one which enriches you financially.

I did the opposite, and have waited until I retired before I felt fulfilled.

That apparently “saving money” is a thing.

That the AXA Sun Life Cashbuilder Plus plan should be avoided like the plague…

(#savetheseabass) #6

There’s no point having a plan, it’ll just go to shit, so you might as well wing it

(Andy Hughes) #7

My job definitely enriches me. It’s tiring, but awesome. Just wish it enriched me financially too :man_facepalming:t3:

(Richard) #8

The importance of a good and regular sleeping pattern cannot be overstated.

(Andy Hughes) #9

This is so true! As a nurse, working a terrible shift pattern who is no longer able to sleep more than about 4 hours per night/day, I 100% back this. Initially you feel the sleep deprivation physically but once the mental strain of it kicks in, it’s awful. If you’re in a position to sleep properly, do it!

This! We’re all just winging it. Some of us pull it off better than others.

Also remember that 97% of users/uploaders to social media only post the good stuff, so don’t compare your crappy day to their ‘amazing’ day.

(Richard) #11

But that free pen… :wink:

(Kevyn) #13

Two pieces of advice, taken from two nineties films, that have helped me many times.

Sh*t happens (Forest Gump).

and

Life finds a way (Jurassic Park).

(Lancelot Payne) #14

Literally do you it sounds so cliche but it’s one of those things that usually works out for most people don’t do something just for the sake of it, also take care of your mental health as well as your physical so that you perform at your best in something you truly love and enjoy.

If you save from now it will also help in the long run I wish I did that instead of a bit later down the line but it’s getting there finally.

(Marc Dando) #15

I’m stealing my tip from this Greek fellow :slight_smile:

(Richard) #16

Can’t help but feel this is directed at me after my ‘but that free pen comment :wink:

If so, apologies, just a bit of light hearted fun after seeing so many of those adverts…

It wasn’t actually, but it looks like several people took issue with it because I’ve just had a telling off.

(Richard) #18

My bit of advice actually comes from my former boss. He told me it after I had proposed to my now wife, and we had started planning the wedding.

Future grooms: always have an opinion… on everything.

Could you though have been as fulfilled now living on less without having done the job you did?

(Ben ) #20

Sorry, can you explain this one?

(If there's the wrong end of a stick, you'll find me holding it.) #21

Speaking personally, I’d say yes.

In general, I’m trying to say that people can be poor and happy, or wealthy and happy. I wouldn’t give up happiness for wealth.