We're working on a new look for the Monzo app

That’s what the speculated committed spend pot is supposed to be for. The budgeting part of summary is for the money you spend within the month aside from your committed spend

2 Likes

They haven’t ditched it, it just isn’t in the new test version of their first mock up and if they can only use the feedback they get then this thread suggests it would be stupid to leave it out

2 Likes

I’d even go as far to say: just like any other bank.

4 Likes

Put it this way, if Left to Spend and days left went in the redesign for example, I’ll be looking elsewhere for my main account, it’s that profound for me. I’m hoping I’ll get to test the new look Left to Spend in this testing, and looking at the feedback, it looks like something that will make the new look.

7 Likes

Everyone it seems: Monzo must redesign an already good app!

Everyone it seems: Oh no, this app update means Monzo’s app is crap! Back to HSBC!

Another thread on here to rinse and repeat that sort of thought process. No pleasing some people

I signed up straight away as I am happy to put my app where my money is

5 Likes

I’m excited for a new design (new shiny things are always fun!), and would be interested to see how Summary could be redesigned, improved upon, made smarter - maybe even disperse its features throughout the app rather than one big summary page.
But, I just don’t want to lose the existing functionality I have come to love from Summary, and which has had such a positive impact for me.

I don’t think that will happen :pray:, my feeling from the dev posts is that in this very early first look at the new design, they haven’t yet worked out how all the Summary features will be integrated into it. I hope that before a general release, they will have worked past this and figured it out :blush:

7 Likes

Signed up for test. When I will be able to test new design? Tuesday due to bank holidays ?

On iOS or Android?

If the former then probably Tuesday when it arrives in TestFlight

If the latter then likely later in the week (probably Thursday) when new Beta arrives in Play Store

1 Like

I’d hate to see the summary tab go! I use this feature greatly!

3 Likes

This has changed in the new account tab - on the existing app layout - not the new one this thread discusses. Don’t think it has been feature flagged for all yet, but if you turn on the link Barclaycard in app, it will trigger the new account tab even if you do not connect a credit card.

Pots layout much better than it was.

2 Likes

Agree.

Without custom categories it is useless. Don’t understand the available to spend either. If you use pots isn’t that just a repeat of your account balance :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I’m also surprised to see so much love for it. I don’t think I have ever seen the need for it .

Glad that they are getting rid of the pulse graph (if anything it would be better on your pots, at least then you will see a more consistent line)

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s that extreme. It still has many more features that set it apart from a standard high street bank. I’m sure they will see all this feedback about summary and take it on board.

1 Like

I use pots, but only for things I’m saving towards. I have no need for pots to put bills money in - Summary and Committed/Available Spend takes care of that for me. I look at available to spend and see that’s what’s disposable after my bills are paid. No need to mess around putting money into and out of pots as bills become due.

“Pots for saving, summary for budgeting”. I do wonder if that’s why so many people see no value in Summary - they confuse it by moving bills money into and out of pots so it loses its insight.

My only gripe is available to spend doesn’t factor in scheduled pots transfers. However, it’s only an issue between pay day and the 1st of the month since all my pots transfers happen on the 1st

16 Likes

My issue in relying on Summary is when I do shopping that spans categories. There is no way to split this other than at the till (split the shopping into the categories and pay separately for each). :-1:t2:

I do like the committed spending section for regular payments though and put this amount into a pot to keep it separate. So really looking forward to the committed spending pot :soon: :grin:

3 Likes

So when is the next group being added to the 2.44 beta for this? Tuesday? Ive signed up as I think I can live without the missing elements for now. And always enjoy trying out new changes. :+1:t2:

I don’t use pots for bills but I know a lot do. This is why they want the committed spending pots and pay from pots feature etc

I’ve changed all my bills to come out around the 1st of each month. So after this date whatever is left is free to spend or move around into savings pots etc :blush:

So left to spend is just my account balance and as a result I have no use for summary.

1 Like

I’m probably going to be in a minority’s but I literally never look at summary. It got better when I could set it to last working day of the month but in general I never used it to budget

5 Likes

When is your payday? And what do you do between this date and the 1st?

I think there’s something in that.

I wonder if there was an option to reject card payments when the left to spend figure reaches zero, then whether that might meet the needs of the committed pots people?

It does seem to me that both Summary and Committed Pots are different ways of tackling the same problem. With hindsight, I wonder if Committed Pots were a bad idea?

2 Likes