We're working on a new look for the Monzo app

Oh right, how do you change back?

It is a bit rash, you’re right, but the simplicity and UX of the app is the only reason for using it over my big bank current account.

Having used the new nav since the initial inception I’m loving the way it’s evolved and is loads better than the first release.

There’s a few bits and bobs that would improve the current state of it which are small but would polish it off in my opinion:

1. Make left to spend clickable so that takes you to summary
  2. If 1 is done, replace the pie chart with the settings cog
  3. Put a little notch in left to spend too show how many days you’ve left
  4. Bring back the goal line for pots so you can see your progress
  5. Make it so when you press back in the app from a pot that you go to your current account rather than exiting the app
  6. When on a pot, make the Monzo card peeking out clickable so it takes you to your main transaction feed
  7. And something not that big but I find really jarring is that the spent today figure has a £ sign whereas transactions don’t!
13 Likes

Just tap on your photo. Then the little heat icon that’s settings.

Then go to labs and toggle it off (:

All great suggestions

I hate the new look. Why would you make so many changes to the UI without giving people any warning. I find it completely unusable. If it doesn’t change I’ll likely close my account.

Has the new Nav been taken out of Labs? Few people seemingly been forced onto it somehow.

Probably Monzo testing how it performs against old nav

I’ve been using Monzo every day for years. Who thought it would be a good idea to make so many large changes to the UX over night. If someone has developed habits and intuition on how to navigate and use the app it’s incredibly frustrating to find that the app navigation has completely changed over night. I really liked the graph and how it let me to jump across my statement when needed. Now I can even scroll up without that dumb navbar closing on. Not to mention that the account balance now shows overdraft which I also find confusing.

Which app version are you on?

I just created an overdraft on 2.57 Android and it didn’t appear in my account balance

It’s probably been mentioned above but by now there’s thousands of replies to this post… tapping on your profile image taking to your whole account view I like but once you’re there, the fact that the cog doesn’t take you directly to settings annoys me a little bit. You get the same outcome by clicking your profile for a second time as clicking the cog so I think the cog should give you a direct settings link and tapping the profile for the second time should then take you to profile settings.

I think Bruno mentioned that the profile / settings screens are going to be merged or overhauled in the near future

1 Like

2.55.1 The green balance below the current value is showing something considerable larger than my actual balance. I assumed it is overdraft but It might be something else of a bug.

Yeah, that’s something they’ve now addressed.

Can you update to a newer version of the app?

Ah awesome :grin: I thought someone would mention it but it’s impossible to read everything in this topic

1 Like

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve instinctively hit back and ended up looking at my launcher home page as I’ve exited the app.

This isn’t just from the pots view. My instinct is back should take me to the top of the feed

3 Likes

Can you provide a screenshot so we can help? I presume it’s just a misunderstanding :slight_smile:

the new design isn’t just a random rehash or a ‘not broke dont fix it’ kinda thing. It’s been done to open up space on the app for new developments. There was no room in the old design for new features and the team at Monzo were increasingly aware that new things they could add wern’t possible just because of the design. This new layout allows for much more possibilities and future developments and features to come to Monzo. The aim is simply for it to be just as usable as the old design (you might well find it is after using it for a couple of days), but open up space at the same time.

I do agree though some onboarding might be useful for swtiching users over to the new design

3 Likes

So, I saw the designs for this ages ago, I wasn’t keen on the direction so held off on the beta. Now this new nav is an option in Monzo Labs so I thought I would just have a quick look. The following feedback is from about 10 minutes of playing:

What I don’t like:

• I hate the swiping up and down of the payment feed (coupled with the account section behind). There seem so many states of this slide up and down, it just feels weird and buggy (even though it’s not actually buggy). I can’t help but feel that this single home page is clearly now trying to do two pages worth of jobs (hence the slide up and down revealing another page), Trying to swipe a thing up and down and getting multiple responses and sticking points just makes a job of wanting to switch between seeing my transaction feed and my accounts super hard
  • Swiping left and right on my actual accounts (main and joint) is incredibly jerky, a really grating experience
  • I like the view when clicking on your profile seeing all your accounts (that’s all I want anyway for a view of accounts, but ideally it’s own tab), but without a back button or anything clear I intuitively feel a bit stuck, it doesn’t feel hugely clear that I should be clicking on an account to “get out of this view”.
  • And now with the settings link inside the profile link I feel like I’m clicking so many times to get to some parts of the app, there are certainly pages inside the app now where I feel genuinely “lost” and not really sure where I am anymore

Actual bugs

• long press and switching from main account to joint account on the nav at the bottom doesn’t actually update anything above it on the home tab

What I would like

• Ideally I just want 4 tabs at the bottom, Home/feed, Accounts, Payments & Help. I think there is so much with overview of accounts, adding accounts/pots, managing them etc it’s worth it’s own tab, not hidden behind the feed tab!
  • The Accounts page to probably be similar to the new “profile” page now with accounts, ideally showing total money held across all accounts etc and not to hide the navigation on this page, navigation or a back button should always be there visible!

Conclusion
So, sorry to be a huge buzzkill but I hate this entire updated design, perhaps some of it I’ll get used to as everyone always does when Apple change how things work and people hate it to start with, but many of the decisions feel like a backwards step to me

6 Likes

Any positives from the new Nav?

Ive been using the new nav for a few weeks and share many of your concerns. So much so that I’ve switched back to the original nav for a break. I found the swiping left right, down to be a chore especially swiping the top part of the screen which is out of thumb range… I find the old nav more intuitive right now…

Bit of feedback - The overdraft option tabs create a bit of an untidy look here. Does it need to be shown twice? Since using the Monzo app it seems options to apply for overdrafts are everywhere I look. This section could be looked at to give a tidier look :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes