Two loans with Monzo? Option to borrow more?

Just a quick question, I seen today its possible to take out a loan with monzo, but can you take out multiple loans? If you take out a loan, are you committed to that limit or is there an option to allow you to borrow more over time?

Thanks

Iā€™ve just checked mine, thereā€™s no other options in app to apply for another one, so appears to be just one at a time

I would imagine you wouldnā€™t be allowed to take out multiple loans on your account , Monzo have offered you the maximum they think you can service with repayments , I could see you being offered another loan after you have successfully paid off your first one , once you take out a loan you are committed to that loan for that amount, for that period.

I didnā€™t think you could have multiple loans with any bank. I always assumed that theyā€™d consolidate them if you needed more money :man_shrugging:

Multiple mortgages, multiple credit cards, multiple loans are all possible with the same institution. With same or different rates, duration, amounts, conditions, etc.

1 Like

So if you were offered 15k and you decide you want a 5k loan for 2 years for a car then a year later you need a 2k loan for a boiler, youā€™d be denied the second loan but youā€™d be ok if you took the 15k and put some aside ?

If so it would seem Monzo are increasing their risk by encouraging folk to take the maximum loan, rather than the one they need

I agree that Monzo will have a changing view as to the maximum loan they think you can take on(or they want to risk), being offered 15k today is no guarantee that itā€™ll be available next week (even if I think my circumstances are the same if better)

At least with the large banks they allow you to have multiple of everything - each with their own terms, repayments etc

Options to consolidate do exist alongside.

Im not sure about the financial logic of taking out a loan for Ā£15K when you only want Ā£5K, but want to put aside a Ā£10K buffer , just in case something happens , but maybe people do and live with the extra payments on the loan that they might need for peace of mind :man_shrugging: :slight_smile:

Wouldnā€™t it make more sense to take a loan for the amount you actually need, and then have a separate credit card for ā€˜just in caseā€™ so youā€™re not paying interest on something unnecessarily?

@TTJJ & @anon95680666, while yes, you both have the right idea. Unfortunately in practice, you might see people taking a loan (slightly) above what they need. For example.

if I get a loan of Ā£5000 over 24 months, I repay Ā£221.45/month (with 314.56 interest)
However, thatā€™s at an interest rate of 6.1%

Now, if I were to go for a loan of Ā£7500 (but only need Ā£5000 for whatever I was doing), Iā€™d pay Ā£324.45 per month, but Iā€™d only end up paying Ā£288.99 in interest (at 3.7%).

Therefore you, could argue that if you need a 5k loan, but take a loan for 7.5k (and keep 2.5k back, and use that to pay the extra monthly payment amount), youā€™ll end up actually saving money because youā€™re paying less interest back. :exploding_head:

oh I agree about a ā€œsmallā€ buffer, there were also previous suggestions somewhere on the forum to take out the Ā£15K at a much lower interest rate and immediately pay back Ā£10K ending up with the Ā£5K you actually needed at a much lower interest rate ā€¦I think, but cant recall Monzo didnā€™t object to this in theory ???

If you are financially astute and you can in fact do this , it would be the best solution , if however youre not and as soon as your Ā£15K hits your account you go shopping I think its a terribly irresponsible idea which Monzo ( may ) allow ??

1 Like

No and no issue doing this. I took out more than I needed to get the lower rate, paid the extra back the next day

1 Like

I guess we see the inverse of this a lot on this forum, where people actually canā€™t get a loan from Monzo at all, or itā€™s really low. Therefore, I think the likelihood of people being irresponsible that can get that sized loan is lower (hopefully)

2 Likes

Well of course and thatā€™s what Iā€™d do(well tbh these days Iā€™d try and save for it)

Yes itā€™d be a terrible idea, but with the one loan restriction it might seem to some not to be so terrible (especially if you find credit hard to get)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.