TV with built in HDMI Switching?

Yes mine does the following with one button.

TV On
AMP On
TV Input
Hue Sync box on
Hue lights on
Hue sync box HDMI X

Done.

It then does the reverse when turning off.

Have separate activities for my other devices and then a play music activity which turns the amp on, switches the input to 3.5mm so I can use the Chromecast audio :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow those remotes are expensive :open_mouth: and you can do all that with standard stuff now.

I turn the power on with my Sky remote which in turn makes:

• The Sky box come on (sky feature)
  • The TV come on (sky feature)
  • My home theatre system comes on and sets to the correct channel (arc support on TV and theatre system)
  • Switches the TV to the correct HDMI channel (tv feature)

Don’t need much more than that :raised_hands:

If I want to control the lights, I just ask Google as you don’t always want lights on when you’re watching TV - especially if it’s a film.

1 Like

Mine does this. I wasn’t sure if it was a Sky feature or not.

If I try and Chromecast something to the tv, it will switch channels for it but my xbox turning on doesn’t change the source.

Yeah I think it’s a Sky thing. In your settings you can grant it HDMI control as well as you programming your remote to control the TV for volume and such with those numbers.

HDMI CEC only goes so far, the harmony means I control all the devices with one remote including an xbox which doesn’t support it, I can schedule things so come on at X time come off at x time (this is how I automatically download patches overnight, my xbox activity turns the console on pressing the xbox button, goes to settings and sets it back online. It then turns it off in the morning.

Going to be honest they are overkill but I will never not have one now. No more losing remote one remote for everything and the time and headaches it has saved have paid for itself.

2 Likes

This is the power of HDMI CEC, when your tv manufacturer actually employs it correctly, and your boxes support it.

I can do this with my Apple TV. Press the tv icon on the Siri remote, both the ATV and my TV and sound system power on, and the tv correctly switches the ATV input. With iOS, I can use Siri to do all this too thanks to shortcuts. I tell it to turn on the bedroom TV, which prompts Siri to power on the ATV, which in turn prompts the rest of my equipment thanks to HDMI CEC.

Nintendo Switch does it too.

1 Like

To be clear, you can do all of this with modern TVs that support HomeKit too. That way, you don’t need to have an Apple TV (unless you want one) and you are able to control the volume, etc on an iPhone.

2 Likes

Oh, absolutely. I’m still using dinosaur 1080p TVs, so don’t have this functionality.

Holding on for some longevity in the market. None of the top manufacturers seem to want to support their TVs with software for more than 2 years. It’s why I hoped Apple would join the fight.

Me too, we still have a plasma TV as our main one - it’s got 1080p and built-in Freeview HD, so even though it’s 10 years old it still does the job perfectly well and picture quality on HD content is excellent.

1 Like

I’m amazed you care about the TV OS. All of them are universally awful.

The first thing I do on any smart tv is disable WiFi and ethernet. A 4K stick or apple TV are infinitely better

Not all of them. Loewe OS is a fantastic tv operating system, and they support it on TVs a decade old.

Mainstream TVs suck. Both the OS and how manufacturers support them. They’re like smartphones stuck in a pre-iPhone era. Apple entering the market would fix both issues.

Smart boxes only solve part of the issue when you have a multi-device entertainment system setup. You need a robust OS powering the TV that’s essentially acting as your hub, interconnecting the rest of your devices.

Have seen you’re getting a new Xbox, so assuming you have a One already?

I use my Xbox as my TV hub basically, just wondering if you’ve ever tried that/are there any apps that are missing for you?

Already have an Xbox one, yes. It’s not missing any apps besides Apple Music and Apple TV plus, but I like switch games too, so I have one of those hooked up. I prefer watching stuff on my Apple TV because the controls are a bit more intuitive, and it pairs better with my AirPods than my tv does, plus AirPlay!

Also turning on my ATV triggers the tv to turn on via hdmi CEC which is nice. Can’t do that with Xbox. The IR blaster only works a small number of times. It’s too weak and my TV warns me the controller batteries must be low!

I use all my boxes for different things, but it’s the tv I have to interact with to switch between them, or for features like bluetooth audio as Xbox and switch don’t support that. The TV is also the device the links to Alexa so I can switch from my Apple TV to my Xbox using voice. Or just use the app on my phone. I like how it detects and assigns device logos for my inputs too, so I can see at a glance which is which.

The fact my primary TV was released in 2012, received Bluetooth audio, smart home features, and Alexa support via software updates is a big deal to me. That would never happen with an LG or a Samsung. I imagine if/when they adopt HomeKit and airplay 2, that will handled in the same way too.

1 Like