Trends - a big update to the Monzo experience

Ok so it’s there in the latest TestFlight. I had to close and re-open the app a number of times and click in out out of trends for it to appear though…

Ok, so… That seems useful perhaps, but I don’t actually see it yet? I mean, see the point. What do you exclude? Bills?

1 Like

So I’ve done two things:

• I’ve abandoned the Income category for a set of more granular ones (salary, savings interest, capital gains etc) that give me better insights.

• I’ve separated investments from savings, and can now have different buckets for things like crowdfunding and ISAs

What I’d really like now is:

• Trends to hide the Income category if it’s empty

• Trends to recognise that when a category is overall positive and to change the text in app from “spent” to “received”.

• More sub headings than “Spending categories” and “excluded from spending”. I’d quite like to set it up to be committed spending, discretionary spending, savings and investments, income and excluded.

8 Likes

These are some really good points :+1:

1 Like

Nice approach.

Urgh, want this so much.

6 Likes

I’ve just excluded “Expenses” I’ve been waiting for this since Trends arrived and it’s great :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I suppose that’s another handy use-case, for some. Not seeing much use for myself, but I know how much it can hurt if your edge-case makes the experience a lot worse, so I guess there’s a subset of people who will be over the moon!

2 Likes

Eurgh. Omitting categories makes me want to get plus again for custom categories so bad

1 Like

Somewhere a Monzonaut is patting themselves on the back for a job well done.

2 Likes

Out of interest, and at the risk of telling you you’re “holding it wrong”: why not keep the built-in Income category for your salary?

We definitely used to do this… :eyes:

Can you give a screenshot of where the number is wrong?

2 Likes

I could do I suppose, but my process went a bit like:

• Income is a global thing and I’m trying to split it up. Ergo create a category for all the income things.
  • Move everything out of income then a swipe through the years (loving that feature) to see if there was anything still in that category that I’d missed and whether I needed another income category.

I’m now wondering if I ought to go move my salary back to income :joy::man_facepalming: (I was holding it wrong).

2 Likes

It’s in all the positive income categories I’ve created then excluded. Here’s one that I use for savings interest:

Edit: it’s the same in unexcluded categories if the value is positive.

2 Likes

Interest seems so negligible everywhere now :cry:

1 Like

Give it a year and we’ll miss these times.

1 Like

:sob::sob::sob:

So true.

1 Like

Loving the Trends roll out - My only niggle is not being able to set up my salary which is paid 13 times a year (4 weekly) like summary has - Any updates on when the 4 weekly period can be set up in trends would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, hope you’re doing good.

Am I right in thinking Trends will have budgeting features eventually; is there an update on how that will work and when we should expect it?

Cheers,
James

1 Like

Hey

Yes that was the plan, but there hasn’t been an update for a while on where Monzo are with that.

@AlanDoe?

1 Like

I’ll see what I can chase up :eyes:

11 Likes

Oooooh, thank you!

1 Like