Too many declined payments due to "security"

I do find it a bit of a pain, especially now that the limit is back down to £100.

Stupidly I have a watch and phone I can pay with, but I usually use my card still.

What on Earth possesses you to do such an antiquated thing?! :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Lazy? How?

If I lose my card and don’t notice it for an hour, you know because I’m driving home or something, that’s plenty of time for someone to max out spending on it before I even notice. I’m very happy there is a limit in place!

Losing a card doesn’t make you lazy, what a weird statement (presuming I’m interpreting that correctly of course…)

You should have been holding onto it, thus lazy :joy:

1 Like

Absolutely @Peter_G. To prevent (quite rightly) the areas where we have recently - i.e. since 1972, when we joined - had new EU laws made from suddenly not applying overnight at the end of the transition, we have transposed the whole acquis (the body of exiting EU law) into U.K. law.

At the same time, all EU competencies (areas where only the EU has had the right to be able to make law while we were a member) return to full UK competence. So we can make laws about anything we like from then on - previously any laws made here were not allowed to conflict with EU law.

This means that we can repeal or change bits of the acquis as we want, and the U.K. can gradually diverge from EU law if it wants.

3 Likes

I think this a very good point, and @Brian_L’s post is along the same lines.

Banks have generally not communicated SCA very well to their customers, and I include both consumers and businesses in this.

If banks had made things clearer to businesses then there might not be the same confusion at checkouts.

Equally, banks should clearly communicate to consumers that their card may sometimes be declined and they simply need to use their PIN to check it’s them.

Fintechs have been leading in this area, and some businesses have been clear about it, like @HoldenCarver, but a great majority appear to know nothing about it - and none of my legacy bank accounts have sent any communication regarding SCA.

I only know about it because of fintechs making me aware and due to being somewhat of a “banking enthusiast” (as I describe myself) and therefore visiting places like this community.

1 Like

I’ve also lost count of the amount of times where a card machine has done a double beep when attempting a contactless payment (indicating it’s time for a pin) so i’ve mentioned to the cashier “I’ll need to use my pin” only to be met with a dumbfounded look, and then the question “how did you know that was whats wrong?”

1 Like

Yes…you are 100% getting my comment wrong! I said contactless payments making people too lazy to pin in (is what I meant). People want to swipe and run.

1 Like

You mean they just use another card so they don’t have to stop and put in their PIN?

Possibly, with concerns about touchpoints during COVID-19.

31st December is the current enforcemnet deadline, who knows if it’ll change, legacy banks seem to wield a lot of power when it comes to this. Some banks (like Monzo) have already started to enforce this for card present and card not present transactions. I think when it comes to card not present, however, there will be some really innovative solutions.

We actually reverted it back to £100, although we are allowed to bring it up to £225. We did not because contactless fraud went up as a result of the increase.

That being said, I’m now bringing this conversation back to our Financial Crime team to evaluate if this is still the case!

All because of this thread :boom::boom:

13 Likes

Thanks for keeping an eye on the thread, credit where credit is due!

Particularly with cases of COVID on the rise again, it would be great to have the higher limit back at least for a bit.