The Great Permacrises

My :octopus: deal actually ends in 3 days. Not decided what to move to next. I’ll wait until it’s expired and then see what’s not on offer :sweat_smile: I’m sure whatever they’ve got will pretty much all be similar at the moment.

So I’ve struck gold as such with my Go pricing at Octopus :octopus: just hoping they don’t send another saying whoops we didn’t mean to send that :joy:

9 Likes

Most people apart from the tories apparently. I find their overall response is disdainful to the point of being inhuman.

Recent advice from Tories suggests the cost of living crisis is down to people:

• not knowing how to cook
  • not knowing value brands exist
  • not realising that they could try ‘working more hours’ or ‘earning more money’

and I’m sure they’ve put out other similar statements. It feels like having no clue how to solve the crises they’ve taken to tackling it by blaming poor people for being poor.

A general attack on people on benefits has definitely worked well for them before, but given the number of people this affects and the fact that most of them are working families I feel like this approach isn’t doing them any favours this time.

8 Likes

Same here - automatically renewed at old rates until next April. Haven’t had an email from Octopus about it, though.

1 Like

Got an email today about my fixed Electricity coming to an end. Wouldn’t be bothered by going on to the flexible rate, apart from the fact it’s increased by over 100%!

What’s everyone doing? Just sucking it up, and sticking with the new crazy high rates, anyone noticed any decreasing in pricing anywhere?

Octopus' New Tariff Details

Your current Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 16.67p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 5.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 25.00p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £629.72

Good to know: we’ve based your estimate on your annual usage of 4200 kWh and the average share of electricity used in off-peak periods by Go customers (33.00%)

Your new Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 37.00p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 7.50p / kWh
Standing charge: 47.31p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,317.83

Flexible Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 31.47p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 22.48p / kWh
Standing charge: 47.40p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,336.12

My supplier went bust when this all started and I got moved to EDF. My £55 a month combined gas and electric moved to £99 over night. It’s now £157.

For a two bed semi with two occupants.

1 Like

:rofl: I think it would be national news and Martin Lewis would be shouting from the rooftops if anyone were doing that with their prices.

1 Like

Haha, very true. I guess I meant … not raising them as much! But doubt that’s the case anywhere. One can hope! :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you been under a rock for the last six months? Prices are going to continue to rocket for years and the way the market is engineered now there is zero incentive for any company to offer anything other than standard variable rates pushed up hard against the price cap.

2 Likes

No. I obviously haven’t, because (a) I’d need a big rock (b) it’d crush me to death (c) no WiFi signal under a rock (d) I wouldn’t be able to charge my devices to get online. :roll_eyes:

No harm in asking what other people are doing, and seeing if they’re getting slightly better (pence) rates elsewhere etc. But sure, let’s ignore the context of the question and just attac people for asking a legitimate question. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

The fixes are still too high I think. So I’ll stick it out for now

3 Likes

These are my rates for another year now for electricity with Octopus. Sheltered from the rise for now. Thank goodness for a system error at their end :hugs:

2 Likes

I just came here to share the same!

It’s still showing as expiring in 2022 on my dashboard though.

2 Likes

As global warming counts as a crisis,

HSBC AM global head of responsible investing: ‘Who cares if Miami is six metres under water in 100 years?’

Responsible investing.

I saw this article also earlier this week, does he realise what damage the world will sustain before we get to the stage of ‘losing’ Miami?

Perfect timing for a Maude image.

Time to start panic buying ahead of monkeypox or give it another week?

2 Likes

keep an eye on the monkey nut peanuts if they start to run short then its PANIC :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

Meh… 1 in 100 mortality rate primarily in countries without good health systems… low transmission rate… I’ll wait and see what happens before worrying - it might go nowhere - it sounds like the kind of thing that we can isolate and stop before it becomes a big issue, with a bit of luck. We might fuck it up and it spreads, but from what I can tell it’s no covid.

Yes but does that give the impact on toilet roll supplies?

1 Like

I’m still with Bulb. Unit rate is 29.63p per kWh - there doesn’t seem to be anyone offering cheaper, actually most comparison sites have just switched off entirely. We are focusing on reducing energy consumption as that’s the only action we can really take.

2 Likes