The Environment

Knowing this government, the “quickest way” will be to do nothing in the UK and pay Rwanda to offset our emissions. :cry:

1 Like

The Guardian are doing a 7 piece series about the Megadrought in the American south-west.

I remember the other week watching a news piece about the drought, where a small minority of farmers in the mid-west said climate change wasn’t a factor in their failed crops. Despite the fact these same farmers, for a number of years have been getting smaller and smaller yields, due to the heat and lack of water for irrigation. The farms were just literally massive areas of dried dirt with nothing around for miles and miles.

It’s amazing that even after them having 1st hand experience of the problems year after year, they still won’t accept climate change as the problem. Must be aliens or something more plausible like that :person_facepalming::rofl:

Edit to put the stories in the right order, not that it matters that much

1 Like

Comes to something when the public have to monitor river pollution because the environment agency is doing a pathetic job.

2 Likes

It’s looking like 1st fracking licensees will be handed out next week :person_facepalming: something that’ll not solve our energy crisis problems according to most experts out there.

In other news, there’s barely anything down there, which is worthwhile fracking in the 1st place. Hopefully communities will kick off enough to keep it at bay once again.

3 Likes

I did last time because I lived near one of the areas it was taking place. Have since moved though, as have many of the people I met through that.

Hopefully the current locals care as much as we did. I don’t see why they wouldn’t, but I’m not seeing much chatter on it. Seems to be flying much more under the radar this time.

1 Like

I strongly agree. There is no chance the tiny amount of gas this will produce will ever affect the global energy prices. Fracking uses chemical water and leaks methane into the air, it’s bad for the environment even before you consider it produces a fossil fuel.

What makes this more annoying is that this Fracking exploration is taxpayer funded - we pay companies through tax breaks on their main profit lines to explore these ‘new fossil fuel sources’ (then when they make profit from the resources they manage to pay almost no tax on that).

We are funding our own destruction.

2 Likes

:clap::clap:

2 Likes

Bloombergs take on it …"may have skirted $700m tax bill "

Billionaire "gives away " company while keeping control of company by way of a trust and avoids tax bill ???

…pick your propaganda to applaud :smiley:

Well he won’t benefit from any tax avoidance, nor from his control of the company.

I don’t know about the tax bill. But honestly even though I am very pro-tax and public investment, at this point in pursuit of the greater good money spent directly helping the climate crisis is better than money going into the democratically controlled public purse.

2 Likes

It also fucks up the water table (bye bye drinkable spring water) and causes large amounts of earthquake damage. It’s a ridiculous extraction method and the lifting of the ban is unconscionable.

2 Likes

Not right interested in what Bloomberg think of it tbf, better that any money they make as profits is to be distributed to environmental causes. Tax revenues rarely get spent on environmental campaigns, so I can live with that.

Edit - Estimated to be approx $100 million a year to projects that need desperate funding, that’s a win for me

3 Likes

Article number 3 on the American mega drought

2 Likes

Article from a climate scientist breaking down 2022

2 Likes

Well that’s one way to go

2 Likes

I meant to share this months ago but then got sidetracked.

Rain garden planters were installed in a public area a few towns over from me. If everyone had something like this installed to the rainwater drainage from roofs, this could dramatically reduce the amount of water accessing the sewers. Especially helpful with intense downfalls, helping to reduce flooding events / sewerage discharge.

Basically it’s a sealed planter with a leaky pipe towards the bottom and an overflow pipe above soil level for if the water level threatens to top the planter.

Image below explains the actual planter and the link goes a bit further into ideas behind it.

HBTH-5

3 Likes

You live near Hebden Bridge! I’ve always wanted to visit :blush:. The planters are a great idea (and very Hebden Bridge)

1 Like

Speaking of the environment, environmental charities are not very happy with the Government currently

Be interesting to see how this plays out

4 Likes

They see a unique habitat for wildlife that shouldn’t be built on.

The government sees ‘red tape’. Killing a few off a birds and animals isn’t going to get in the way of their ideology. We can only hope that not too much actual damage is done before they get voted out

3 Likes

Charities only seem to have any influence on government policy when their misguided beliefs support moves towards authoritarianism, so they’ll probably go ignored I suspect. They’re not Baranardo’s who want the government to spy on us to protect children from possible bad internet things.

Hope they do have some pull here though. Anger is the right reaction, though it’ll no doubt get spun against them to drive the opposing narrative and misdirect the public. They’re just angry extremists, you see.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a nice place, lots of good walks about an all, the next town on Todmorden has a decent market too, then further along to Walsden a massive independent garden centre.

1 Like