The Environment

So Biden is looking like he’s gonna have to drop most of the green plans he has, can’t get the money for it yet. Our plans come out on Monday, I doubt Boris will have gone far enough and the treasury doesn’t feel like it wants to support any plans with money.

COP 26 just gonna be a disaster at this rate, be politicians blowing smoke up each others asses.

3 Likes

Xi Jinpeng isn’t even going (although, there’s much speculation he might be seriously ill), and Bidens presence is almost pointless because nothing will pass through US Congress.

Difficult to see the value of it when almost half of the worlds emissions won’t be meaningfully represented.

1 Like

And just like that, opened up The Guardian app to catch up on some news. Now I’m hoping Johnson just be like screw you Treasury, we’re going big. Just to spite them.

1 Like

Boris Johnson is one of the most climate skeptic MPs out there, he has consistently voted against climate change bills. A lot of the party funding also comes from big oil, not to mention their alliance for good press with Rupert Murdoch who regularly tries to slow climate progress because of his business interests in oil.

I imagine ‘the chancellor won’t cough up’ is a very convenient excuse for him to continue paying lip service only.

2 Likes

Not just politicians. 25,000 people blowing smoke.

II have zero expectation anything will be agreed, as it’s just a junket now.

At least part of the financial sector has woken up and reassessed it’s green criteria.

3 Likes

Good news. Hopefully the government finally catches up and ends the subsidies.

1 Like

Find out in 15 minutes what these “grand” plans are going to be. I’ll not hold my breath for anything earth shattering.

1 Like

Unless it’s re-introducing fracking :sweat_smile:

I must have blinked and missed anything substantial in the commons address. Maybe there’s more in the actual documents to see.

1 Like

Air source heat pumps seem to be the biggest thing going for consumers.

Bill Gates is matching the funds the government are putting into developing emerging technologies.

I’ve not had chance to read anything else yet, just about to start work. Hopefully be more to read up on once all the various news outlets have digested the plans.

2 Likes

I’ve read through them now and it’s grim reading really. Apart from the heat pumps it’s largely - yet again - repackaging of the current policies mainly.

There’s a mention of reforming the ETS scheme but not really on just clamping down on the number of licenses which is what it needs.

Extremely disappointing at a stage when even radical government intervention might not be enough.

1 Like

I’ve been reading up a lot on these.

It seems like they’re only really good if you have a well insulated home, i.e. full cavity wall insulation, triple glazing and underfloor heating. Otherwise they’re not at all efficient, you’ll struggle in winter and it will cost you a fortune in electricity.

Apparently the technology isn’t quite there for them yet, oh and a double pump model is the one you need.

If you have all these things then you’ll save a small fortune and you can have your house at a constant temperature too.

But still have the situation of possibly running out of hot water I guess? However much hot water on demand as I like is important to me, I hate it when someone has a deep bath and it’s all gone for an hour or so! I won’t be parting with a combi boiler until it’s impossible to replace/repair or there is a good alternative.

1 Like

Octopus is on it from the 1970s upwards :+1:

Mines a Victorian era property, I don’t even know what insulation I’ve got in the walls. I’ll have to check at some point. My boilers only 3 years old, I upgraded from an older model to a more efficient modern one. So I’ll not be looking to replace until it hits year 10, that’s when the warranty run’s out. Although it’ll no doubt carry on working strong after that period.

Even the grant for heat pumps is a repackaging of the RHI (which is going away) and (on average) a slight decrease in funding. The advantage is you get it all at once.

I’m waiting to see what happens with heat pumps… prices will be plummeting (they’re completely insane right now, strictly for the rich) and really I want something that’ll be a drop in replacement for the combi (which is dirt cheap to run).

Just shows they don’t care one bit

1 Like

Amendment passed, they severely underestimated how furious the public would be when they voted it down. Seen a fair few articles, where all these Tory MPs are shocked, about how their own constituents have acted about it.

3 Likes

I’m honestly speechless!! What the actual f*ck

2 Likes

Tax the planes, free the trains!

1 Like