TestFlight Release Discussion

I would imagine the same but not until iOS 15 at the earliest. They haven’t said anything about deprecating older widgets yet so can’t see it coming sooner than that.

2 Likes

This is a bit off topic, but I’m not sure they will.
The “on the left” widget screen is accessible from the Lock Screen, whereas the widgets on the Home Screen obviously aren’t. I personally like the ability to see the old widget page without unlocking my phone, and I think it serves a slightly different function to widgets on your Home Screen.

This doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t remove it, but I think it could easily stay (and I would like it to).

Not sure if you meant/didn’t mean this but iOS 14 widgets can also be added to the today view (swipe from left on lock screen) so can still be accessed super easily. You can just also add to home screen, and the widgets themselves are worse cus no interaction is allowed :mask:

Yeah, I was responding to @Tainted-Archer who speculated that Apple would remove the “widgets only” (former today view) screen in a future update. Or at least, I think that’s what was meant?

I personally don’t think they will (and hope they don’t) since I don’t want all my widgets on the Home Screen and like to be able to access them from the Lock Screen. My less-frequently used widgets still sit out of the way on the widgets page and are not taking up valuable space on my Home Screen.

As you say, at the moment it’s just increased flexibility on placement and I see no reason not to keep this? Wouldn’t getting rid of the widgets page entirely be a step backwards?

I am also running iOS 14 myself, so I get what you mean about how it works - I’ve had a chance to play around with it too. The no-interaction thing is a bummer though.

They may well keep the screen but I’m 100% they will phase the old ones out completely. I just can’t see them keeping them around especially with how hard they’re pushing for Swift UI. But yeah IOS 15 at the earliest but I’m fairly confident.

I wouldn’t say it’s a step backwards either. I mean they literally got rid of the Mac widget thing that’s been around forever because nobody used it… it’s not a step backwards to identity that people don’t want something and aim resources at more important features.

I don’t know anybody that actually uses the widget screen so I’d be interested in a poll maybe to see who uses it.

2 Likes

I see what you mean now.

I don’t mind if they phase out non-Swift UI widgets (I expect the vast majority of developers will be keen to update anyway so their widgets can be used on the Home Screen) but I want the flexibility of the separate screen. So I hope they keep the widget screen. The whole idea with the iOS 11 redesign and the merging of Notification Centre and the Lock Screen was that, especially with a Face ID iPhone, the OS was dynamic - all you had to do was look at it and your phone was unlocked. Your notifications were “revealed” and, straight away, you were in Notification Centre and catching up on what had happened since you put your phone down. Likewise, the widget view - a quick swipe and you were on the widget page.

macOS Dashboard was a bit different, since it was quicker to have a flyout with widgets on (“above the OS”) than widgets behaving “like an app” as they did in Dashboard. Widgets are also a bit less useful on a more task-oriented device like a computer, so this contributed to people not using them. I reckon widgets are fairly popular among more advanced users on iOS. The behaviour of “the widget page” also remains on iPadOS, where free placement on the Home Screen still isn’t possible. I expect this will mean that the page remains on iOS because, although Apple is keen to emphasise that they are now separate platforms, they still share a lot of code on a technical level and the difference is mainly marketing.

I reckon widgets are fairly popular among more advanced users on iOS.

I mean I’m an IOS developers and I’d like to think I’m as advanced as you can get, and I don’t use them :smiley: (sounds like you might be too)

Just messing, I do agree with what you’ve written though. We shall see in due course :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, everything is up to the mercy of Apple (as always with their platforms).

I do use widgets, but I miss the option to use 3D Touch to invoke the widget for an app on the Home Screen - I think they now expect you to simply have the widget on the screen instead, but for rarely-used widgets this is a waste of space so I’d like this back. Especially since my iPhone X still has 3D Touch. This was a nice way to check some basic information without the need to actually open the app.

I would describe myself as an advanced user, but I’m not actually a developer - I just enjoy using the betas and I am knowledgeable enough to deal with when things sometimes go wrong (I’ve done a few DFU mode restores in my time!) so I feel able to do this responsibly. I would love to get into app development one day though!

2 Likes

This build is crash city on iOS 14 latest beta. App Store version running fine. Anyone else?

(Not a complaint and have reported, just asking)

1 Like

As stated before in this thread, the App Store version will be crashing, it just doesn’t notify you…

3 Likes

I haven’t had any crashes on the AppStore build for 3 weeks

3 Likes

TestFlight is crashing every time but also shows between 2-15 crash notifications- very annoying :frowning::joy:

4 Likes

Talking of release notes, this is a classic of the genre that I came across today:

7 Likes

I saw this earlier, their dev notes are always quite good but that one was hilarious!

2 Likes

is there some kind of reward for posting these?

Sorry @Dunsford, I’ve stolen your gig! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::joy:

6 Likes

3 Likes

Yes, the wrath of @Dunsford for beating them

7 Likes

Beware, this newest TestFlight build does not fix that. Nobody running iOS 14 at Monzo HQ?

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Has anyone else had their transaction history only going back till May? Or have I missed something?