Tail Offers Q&A

The latest version is 1.2.16, we deployed it last night but unfortunately the app store can sometimes take a while to update.

You could try deleting the app and reinstalling it.

OK sweet. Thanks for your help. I’ll let you know how I get on.

1 Like

Hi Harley,

I previously downloaded your app when I used Starling. I never used it because the offers were too few and far between, too complicated and often too misleading for me to be interested. A year later I see it’s pretty much the same thing.

Do you have any plans to streamline the offers?

I went on the map and clicked on the offers with the highest cash back and they all say “maximum £5 redemption” or “first time users only” in the small print, which is enough to make me not want to bother with it.

It would be great if I could just know for sure that everything listed on Tail is going to be 20% off whatever I spend. If every seller was made to play by the same rules then I’d definitely trust it and use it on the go.

If however I need to spend half an hour figuring out which ones have restrictive terms and clauses then I can not be bothered with any of it and will never use it.

1 Like

Thanks for trying the app, I am sorry you find the offering complicated or misleading.

We are doing our best to make Tail clear and easy to use. For example, “first time customers only” offers are only shown to you if you have no previous transactions at that retailer. If you have shopped there previously you will not see these offers so that should not be an issue or confuse you once you shop there.

The maximum redemption amount is to protect some of the retailers with tighter margins. Most of our partners are small independent retailers and we work closely to ensure the offers are sustainable for them, while also being as beneficial as possible for you.

Our aim is to have enough offers available that you can open the app at any time and discover new and exciting food and drink places near you.

3 Likes

Now that’s cool. I didn’t bother downloading the app, as I have a number of apps which offer discounts at chains I never go to (Starbucks, Caffe Nero, Pizza Hut etc).

But I’ll certainly be investigating Tail, now. :+1:

4 Likes

Could anyone tell me how to unlink this from my Monzo account?

There’s not a single retailer I use, and the cash back offers are in places I rarely go to.

If I go to account settings>delete app will this unlink my account and stop fail being able to see my Monzo details?

1 Like

@Harley Do you retain a record of all my transactions, or only the ones made at merchants you partner with? Do you retain this indefinitely?

Unrelated suggestion - I think it would be good if we could set places of interest in the app (e.g., home and work address) and then receive an app notification when there is a new offer within a user configurable distance from one of the places of interest.

For anyone that’s interested, I’ve had to contact Monzo and request them to remove tokens which has stopped tail being able to access my banking details.

Hi there, you can also select “Delete Account”. This will remove your user from our system and all of your data, your tokens will then expire and we will no longer have access to any of your information.

That is a great idea, thank you for the suggestion!

We keep your all transaction data while you are a user so we can identify you as a first time customer (i.e. most of our offers are better for first-time customers). As mentioned earlier we are regulated by the FCA as an AISP, they have ensured that we manage your data responsibly and strictly stick to our privacy policy.

Hey Harley, this app sounds interesting! I’d just like to clarify one thing before trying it out: in this thread you wrote that no data is passed on to retailers and they have no way of personally identifying users, but Tail’s privacy policy states “We may disclose your personal information to any current or future member of the Tail Offers group of companies, which might entail subsidiaries or holding companies.” This to me would seem to contradict what you said. Could you explain exactly what personal information you do disclose to retailers? And even if you currently only disclose a limited amount, does this privacy policy not give you carte blanche to potentially share much more private information in the future if you so choose? Thanks!

If I’ve read that right they’re not talking about sharing with retailers, they’re taking about sharing with holding companies/subsidiaries related to Tail.

2 Likes

Hey Alar, much like @Kumnaa mentioned, member of Tail Offers Group of companies would only refer to companies which are legally a part of the Tail Offers Group, i.e. companies Tail Offers takes a stake in, acquires or newly founds and vice versa, companies which acquire - or take a stake in - Tail. Retailers - unless acquiring Tail or being acquired by Tail - are not part of TO ‘Group of Companies’, but partners.

Hey Harley (and @Kumnaa), thanks for your reply and for explaining the distinction! I think I’ll give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like