Subscriptions review

If anyone hasn’t cancelled their Duolingo yet, now is probably a good time.

They’re destroying their product in the name of filling their pockets with a larger cut.

2 Likes

They’re just doing what nearly every other the company has (or will be doing) over the continuation of this year. Note, this isn’t me supporting this move, just it won’t be the last.

Be interested to see what, if any, the real impact of this will be. I’d guess most won’t even notice.

3 Likes

If and when I become aware of more examples, I’ll call them out too. I’m aware that BuzzFeed have decided to lay off almost all their writers and generate AI articles, but BuzzFeed has been a shadow of it’s peak self for years now anyway.

I’m also putting my mouth where my mouth is at work on occasion too, having to push back against suggestions of using AI art. I can’t wait for the eventual lawsuits to rumble through court and blow the whole ‘AI’ ‘industry’ up. But I digress.

3 Likes

As someone who doesn’t use Duolingo, just how much are they translating every year? Surely they do a language once, and phrases to learn once (per language), then the language is done as far as they are concerned? Educate me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I cancelled my Duolingo plus as I don’t feel like I need it now anyway

Duolingo already said it isn’t developing its Welsh course any further, so I bailed in the autumn.

2 Likes

Well, we can add another one to the list for me. The Times.

I was looking for a more UK orientated version of The New York Times. While there is no direct comparison, this seemed to be the closest match in terms of editorial standard and writing.

One annoying thing they all seem to do is really hide the offers. If you do it on the app or even via the website it want’s to charge you a silly amount. But I was able to find it for £1 a month for 12 months by doing a little googling.

I get why companies do it, but its a little sneaky.

2 Likes

I’ve used that offer previously, but I now refuse to subscribe to The Times on principle as they make you call up to cancel.

Urgh. I’d hoped I could just cancel at the end of 12 months. This might sway me back to the NYT, who do it right in my opinion. Just subscribe via apple, easy to do, easy to cancel.

I did my usual trick of using a single use virtual card on my last payment. When they can’t take the next payment, they normally cancel the sub automatically. The The Times actually tried to come after me and make me keep paying.

The NYT also used to make you call to cancel, but thankfully stopped that crap. I always subscribe directly for the offers, do you still get those when you go through Apple?

3 Likes

The initial offer came directly from the NYT app, via apple subscriptions.

1 Like

There is a way (@N26throwaway said about it I think) that lists all the offers someone has for IAP. So whilst their main page might show Month @ £9.99 or whatever, there is another page somewhere that has the offers listed where you might find Month @ 99p etc.

I subscribed to The Athletic on an offer and while I didn’t have to phone up to pay, they make it a lot harder than one button press with Apple!

Yup. Tap on your profile icon at the top right of the App Store, tap subscriptions, tap the subscription you want to manage, then tap see all plans. You should find any active offers/discounted plans there even if they’ve disappeared from the app.

Some developers have started to wise up to it though.

2 Likes

I honestly read that as Gentler Steak and thought damn, that’s cheap for regular steak delivery. :joy: I have an eye test booked next weekend funnily enough.

I have:
Nest - £6
Prime - £8.99
iCloud - £0.99
Apple TV+ - £8.99
Disney+ - £7.99

Cancelled:
Netflix - £10.99

To be fair, Netflix is gone for good but Apple TV+ and Disney+ I cancel and re-sub as and when quite often and sometimes sub to Now TV for the odd month or 2. My only permanent are Prime, Nest and iCloud.

4 Likes

In the case of the papers, they’ve mostly all wised up to this.

In the case of the NYT they were really clear you could get an offer. As were other UK papers. In the case of the times this was hidden in a way you could only find via googling offers.

At the risk of adding another subscription to your subscriptions…

3 Likes