Starling Feedback

Overdraft, you will get no fees. Loan will charge you minimum 11%.

4 Likes

Overdraft. Itā€™s offset against the 500 in the goal so effectively 0pc.

1 Like

Thereā€™s no fees on the overdraft? I thought there was a percentage based fee.

Anything in your goals offsets this. If you have Ā£500 in Goals you wonā€™t be charged if you go -Ā£500 in your main account.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a world of difference between not having the right dates on a summary and a lending product

1 Like

If you want the comfort that you know exactly how much you will need to pay each month (for, say, 12 months), then take the loan.

If you think you may be able to pay it back sooner, or itā€™ll only be a couple of months or so - Take the OD.

You can still pay a loan back early if you need to.

Of course - I would strongly advise you use your Goal money here to save on interest :wink:

Edit to include what I missed (that the others have already said).

The Ā£500 in goals will offset the interest fees!

2 Likes

If he has Ā£500 he wonā€™t touch in a goal and does not want to pay regularly, a loan is a terrible and expensive idea.

1 Like

Gotcha.

But if I have no money in Goals, and I take a loan, and I repay it from the overdraftā€¦ Iā€™m getting charged the loan fee, and the overdraft fee?

That remains outstanding, but on the surface if you paid the loan with your overdraft youā€™d pay interest on the loan and the 15% overdraft on any negative balance.

1 Like

I believe so (not confirmed).

But Iā€™d be surprised if Starling offered an overdraft to someone who would be in that position.

2 Likes

They already sort of do. You could loan Ā£2000 of your Ā£4000 overdraft, and pay the loan with the remaining overdraft.

1 Like

If you have been approved for a 4K overdraft - Then I assume you could.

But a lot of these examples are more hypothetical - In the real world, no one will do that (youā€™d hope :joy:)

1 Like

Surely Starling arenā€™t charging two lots of fees - an overdraft fee & loan fee - for borrowing the same money? This is hilarious :joy:

2 Likes

If you pay off a loan with an overdraftā€¦ Why wouldnā€™t you get charged 2 lots of fees?

FYI - In this example, the 2 fees would come to less than 1 OD fee.

Ah ok, I think I misunderstood the situation SimonB was describing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is why I (as a consumer) prefer the daily flat fee concept (Not just saying that because I work here and thatā€™s our approach)

I feel like Iā€™d have no understanding and no daily/monthly/annual visibility of what youā€™ve just said. Two potential percentage based fees, at different rates, some offset against money I might have set aside and some not? I get that for lots of people this all might be easy to understand, but I think for a significant amount of people itā€™s not easy to understand.

9 Likes

I completely understand that.

But when ā€œSpread The Costā€ goes live, youā€™ll have a similar situation where you have 1 flat fee, and 1 APR fee at 15%?

I donā€™t see how that is different to these examples (apart from the 50p per day vs an APR rate on ODā€™s).

Edit - Of course we are all talking like we will be living in our ODā€™s AND having a loan to pay off! :joy:

Letā€™s hope none of those things actually happen!

2 Likes

The flat fee approach works when itā€™s tiered, as it is itā€™s punitive for small overdraft usage. Simplicity is great, but that doesnā€™t make the product better for the customer. Iā€™d also say, regardless of how messed up Starling have made their borrowing offerings, offsetting the overdraft with any other deposits held is a nice consumer friendly move.

1 Like

Yeah, absolutely, but I think the combination of two percentage based things is where it falls apart for a lot of people.

Regardless of whether I have to dip into my Monzo OD to cover Spread The Cost, I still know that the OD fee will never be more than Ā£15 on a 30 day month and then I can understand the STC fee purely based on the value of the STC loan over the fixed term.

3 Likes

But what if I donā€™t use STC and I use Ā£100 of my overdraft for a month, for example? One is Ā£1.16 and the other is Ā£15.50.

Edit: and if I have Ā£100 savings, itā€™s Ā£0 and Ā£15.50 in the other. Doesnā€™t seem right.

2 Likes