Starling Discussion & Feedback

I have both and will keep both. Always like to have a backup card especially abroad. [if I ever go away again] R-

5 Likes

We were discussing this yesterday morning. Where were you? :rofl:

Morning! :smile:

I think if they allow Pay Bills from Spaces feature, then it may cause a few avid Monzo users to consider the move.

2 Likes

Starling give the impression that they are a bank that’s into tech, Monzo seem to be a tech company that’s into banking.

20 Likes

I find the web based login process annoying. Account number is not something most people remember (so you need to look for it somewhere), and the dependency on the phone means you can’t rely on a password manager to login. To me this makes the whole thing pretty much useless - if I have to take my phone out I may as well just do everything on the phone directly.

You can ask for your a/c number to be remembered. R-

I think these are things that are helpful and I probably place too much “loyalty” on my data that I have with Monzo to actually switch, but I’m not sure why as a fresh newbie to either, you’d pick Monzo over Starling at the moment.

Billl pots is the probably the only thing and something I wouldn’t move without, but I don’t think, based on current development schedules, it will be too long before Starling have their version of this too.

1 Like

Wouldn’t work if you clear cookies regularly or disable cookies to begin with.

1 Like

True. Plus it seems to have to use your phone to approve login via the phone app. R-

you needed to login with an absurd long number for HSNC - process is no different - it was IB, followed by 12 digits

My experience also, started my switch from Monzo to Starling last week and it completed today. Monzo are doubling down on the Monzo faithful with Plus but alienated me in the process by making ads for Plus too intrusive. Unless you get Plus you’re not getting the best of Monzo, whilst Starling are adding features for everyone and making their profit elsewhere. This seems like a much more sustainable approach, there’s only a limited number of people who are going to pay a fiver a month for a current account.

8 Likes

Can I use IFTTT with starling to replicate my 1p saving challenge or is that something we can’t setup manually? very tempted to move over, I already have an account with them.

Try accessing Starling Online Banking if you lose your phone!

:man_shrugging:

Update:
The answer is to contact Starling via phone. You can then go through security questions and conduct any banking business you need while awaiting a replacement device.

:+1:

3 Likes

Sorry…

1 Like

Very slick login experience and interface - good work starling :+1:

Not very accessible to people with disabilities.

You can tell your password manager to remember these two fields and auto fill them. It’s really not that much of an issue and 2FA doesn’t make me feel like it’s useless.

1 Like

They also have webchat so I think they’re just about fine.

For people with accessibility issues there are solutions that already exist separately to Starling to assist them.

1 Like

It’s fine as is but the single biggest thing they could do to improve it is have some kind of mode to login if you lose your phone, via an alternative route or extra verification if needed.

I wouldn’t mind, personally, is this was just an “emergency mode” where you can freeze your card, but it is something they should add.

1 Like

No.