2 Likes

Real boring basics.

• Paying in money, for free and without limits
  • Being able to use the Post Office
  • First class payee management
  • Cheque imaging
  • Viewing spend by merchant
  • iPad app

Non flashy things that I need a current account for.

I donā€™t take an active interest in what Monzo are up to any more, but the last impression I had was that developing new features that canā€™t be easily be monetised just wasnā€™t a priority.

And from I see of Starling of late, they seem to be on it.

17 Likes

You can do that with Monzo, but fair enough on the other points, whatever floats your boat :slight_smile:

Thereā€™s 2 issues that bother me off your list, first being cheque imaging, but Iā€™m not sure I care about keeping another account to do this, If Monzo add it then great, if they donā€™t then oh well.

The other is payee management, but I have high hopes that will be addressed by Monzo soon so iā€™ll stay hopeful on that.

I actually downloaded Starling the other day after some of the comments on here, for me thereā€™s too many things Monzo do that Starling donā€™t, plus I hate the Starling UI. Personally Iā€™d pay more attention to Revolut than Starling with their new UI. Theyā€™re doing some great things too.

5 Likes

What are they?

Other than just look\feel

1 Like

If you mean by looking into individual transactions, thatā€™s not quite the same thing. If thereā€™s another way, Iā€™d see it as an indictment of their app that I havenā€™t figured it out in a few years of use.

My list is definitely personal and wonā€™t apply to lots. I just feel quite jaded about Monzo in that the product just doesnā€™t match the hype or the rhetoric for me. Any momentum just isnā€™t visible to me any more.

I do use Revolut and love all the things theyā€™re doing. If they offered a proper Bank account Iā€™d be very interested.

2 Likes

Iā€™d say itā€™s high hopes that have kept me from switching for so long. But Iā€™m tired of waiting. I have no loyalties about this stuff so if it improves, Iā€™ll be back.

3 Likes

Bills Pots and IFTT are the main two

Edit: Oh and Hiding Pots, been waiting for that one for a while

4 Likes

Just never used Starling so was curious, thanks for the reply

2 Likes

Yh thereā€™s two way to do it that I know of, click on a transaction on your feed and then if you click on Total Payments itā€™ll list out all the payments to that merchant.

Or you can do it easily in search too.

I am
Assuming though that these give you similar results to Starling, Iā€™ve never actually purchased anything on Starling because I opened an account, saw they donā€™t do the main things I love about Monzo so
Never used it but I can see the Merchants ran in the feed, mines just empty

This is not a good look at all.

2 Likes

Going by twitter it seems reordering spaces isnt too far off, can only assume hiding would be next.

Yh I guessed it was probably coming after I saw the new layout earlier. I guess once Monzo did it it would only be a matter of time

The above is particularly damning for Starling

2 Likes

I am so tempted to follow, and for all the same reasons.

I feel rather upset that I had a Starling account but closed it because at the time it seemed they were lagging behind Monzo. But in the past year or so they took off like a rocket ship, while I think Monzo not only stagnated but actually went backwards in some aspects I care about

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight. Youā€™re right, most of those things are missing or outdated in the Monzo app and I guess if they are important to you then youā€™ve made the right move. Starling certainly has been upping its game recently.

1 Like

It looks very bad from Starling. At the same time, I donā€™t think the scheme is very well considered either. Lending whatever the risk?

Some sole traders will just be loading up on debt for businesses that will go under anyway and will then be left with liability for the debt and a lovely recovery process.

Starlingā€™s approach may not be defensible under the BBB agreement, but it is at least morally defensible. Is it really reasonable to give substantial loans on preferential terms to traders with horrendous credit histories?

1 Like

I think youā€™re right, as this must be absurdly tempting for fraudsters. In principle though, the fraud and ID checks should be the same as always.

Then again, it must be very tempting for some to massage the odd tax return right now, either to bring your three-year average below the Ā£50k threshold or to qualify for the loan scheme, so there are new vectors introduced by these schemes.

I agree there are going to be cases of fraud as well as people who shouldnā€™t take on these loans.

However, I disagree Starling stance is morally defensible. Whether you agree with the design of the loans scheme or the eligibility criteria, the government has taken the decision to underwrite 100% of the loansā€¦ so in effect all the banks are doing is acting as their agents and are not taking on the risk themselves.

Its obvious that the BBLS wasnā€™t the governmentā€™s preferred solution but that they felt they had to do something for SMEs given the delays firms were experiencing assessing CIBLS.

Iā€™m sure in their minds was the fact that most people in this country are employed by SMEā€™s and they generate most of the economic growth - so any recovery would be a lot more problematic once the lockdown ends if they no longer exist

1 Like

They have the right to refuse an application. It is the lenderā€™s right. However, news paper articles and other stories do not tell the full story. Somebody with the banking credentials of Starlingā€™s CEO would never misinterpret and not comply with the rules of a financial scheme.

2 Likes

The scheme said they cannot perform credit checks on applicants.

This is because there is no personal guarantee for these loans. Applicants creditworthiness is not relevant in assessing loan risk, and they are guaranteed by the government instead.

They confirmed this here: https://twitter.com/BritishBBank/status/1263557232672858112

Starling did conduct hard credit checks, which is against the scheme rules.

3 Likes