Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Their advert was on at the cinema today as well.

1 Like

My guess is that isnā€™t that much in the grand scheme of things. Itā€™s hardly the money Renault pay to sponsor the Premier League on Sky

1 Like
2 Likes

Anyone know if they stopped doing loans? I had one back in 2018 with them and the option seems to have vanished now, to be fair I havenā€™t checked since 2019 when I paid mine off.

Yes they stopped them a while back they said they was working on something new but nothing as of yet

Ahhh right, Iā€™m guessing something like Flex. I donā€™t need a loan just wondered what happened.

1 Like
1 Like

Iā€™m not quite sure how to read ā€œin at least 12 monthsā€. I think it should normally mean ā€œwithin the next yearā€ but I think the context implies ā€œnot before 12 monthsā€.

Anyway, thoughts on valuation? Anyone know what the last raise was at (or was that not published)?

2 Likes

Guess the Starling :soon: response finally happened.

Indicates in the article that Subscriptions and CPAā€™s can work through this as well so really am keen to know why Monzo seem to still not be able to do this (without a Plus/Premium VC anyway). Iā€™m huge fan on Pay from Pots but is it just another case of Monzo releasing a feature then never revisiting it? and instead of revisit it just tell us it canā€™t be done.

Edit, i tell a fib, i just actually opened the Starling app and it says and I quote:

Apologies Monzo

6 Likes

:soon: has finally landed!

Although didnā€™t Anne say that she had something better? From an initial scan, this looks like bills pots but without taking from the main account if youā€™re short (which I think is probably not as good, but other people will prefer).

3 Likes

Where does it say this? It seemed very heavy on direct debits (and mentions standing orders in passing).

3 Likes

I think itā€™s a bit ambiguous. It does say about subscriptions but also then says direct debits.

2 Likes

I just edited my post after actually redownloading the Starling app. It was the use of the term ā€˜subscriptionsā€™ in the blog post as @Revels alluded too after you.

My bad.

3 Likes

May just move all my stuff over to Starling now this is available, may hold off a few weeks though as Iā€™ll need to be in the mood to manually move everything.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s what the Starling app says:

Itā€™ll be interesting to see if the payment is direct or if it does the current account shuffle like Monzo.

3 Likes

Unfortunately for me I still detest the design of the Starling home tab enough despite dark mode to make it a viable move for me as well as now being an avid user of VCā€™s on Plus but I can see this how this can be the nail in the coffin for :mondo: for those on the fence.

2 Likes

Iā€™m intrigued to see this as well, judging by them saying this:

Iā€™d imagine they wonā€™t get the shuffle like us

However, they also say this further down:

But whether thatā€™s a notification or a feed item is yet to be seen

3 Likes

Feels a bit dramatic. This is Starling coming towards feature parity - thatā€™s excellent, but doesnā€™t do anything that the free Monzo account doesnā€™t so Iā€™d have thought it wouldnā€™t have any demonstrable, large scale impact on movement been Monzo and Starling.

As ever, the competition is with the high street banks, so might accelerate movement from them.

5 Likes

Whatā€™s the reasoning that things like Netflix canā€™t be taken from a space/pot? It seems to be a consistent issue.

2 Likes

For those on the fence between Monzo and Starling ā€“ those who have been leaning towards the latter but couldnā€™t make the jump because they missed this feature will now be able to make the jump. I donā€™t think it was a general statement about all of Monzoā€™s users flocking to starling

9 Likes