Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Android design guidelines say that floating action buttons should be used for just that - actions, e.g. add a new contact, compose an email, etc. They aren’t meant to be used for navigation.

4 Likes

Good point!

Starling are on shaky ground with it really, I agree.

Is it just me or is the Starling app extremely slow for the past few months? Even simple things like changing between accounts take ages because the app will just freeze for a second or so. The new UI made the problem even worse I think.

1 Like

No, still super fast and snappy for me.

1 Like

Fine for me too. Android

It seems a bit slow for me on iOS but the internet is terrible here so I’ve always assumed that is why (I’m on an ADSL connection with a long distance between me and the exchange, but we are getting FTTP in the hopefully not-too-distant future).

I’m on iPhone 8, so maybe it’s less noticeable on the newer phones with more CPU? It’s definitely not the network as it would be at home on very fast Wi-Fi.

Android not being affected makes sense as it’s a whole different codebase and shouldn’t have the same bugs.

In any case this is irritating and reminds me of the Monzo issues in the early days where scrolling through the transaction feed or switching between tabs would have significant lag. Not sure if that’s fixed on the :monzo: side as I no longer have an account.

1 Like

I’m using an iPhone X, so it’s the same A11 chip.

How is your phone’s battery? Have you tried reinstalling the app?

Looks like Starling are going to launch something similar to bill pots judging by a reply to a tweet about features over the weekend. Be interesting to see there implementation of it, given that three weeks ago they said it’s not something they are working on.

1 Like

Interesting - do you have a link to the tweet at all?

1 Like
2 Likes

To be honest they’ve been saying that for at least 12 months now :rofl:

4 Likes

Have they? Fair enough then, although all the tweets I’ve seen say it’s not something they are working on, including this one from the 15/01/2021.

1 Like

Frm memory, they’ve said consistenly that bills from goals/spaces isn’t something they were going to do. But, they did say that they were working on something ‘better’. I think I assumed that charging for a second account was the ‘better’ solution :man_shrugging:

Interesting to see what they come out with, though. Maybe it’ll tie in with the :soon: Starling Credit Card :soon: and be a credit card pot style thing?

3 Likes

Although I have no problem with paying £2 to Starling per month, if that’s what it takes for profitability, and no real problem in having a second account instead of a Bills Pot, unfortunately Starling’s implantation means it’s unusable for me. I’ll explain why…

There is no separate card issued on the secondary account, and all my Direct Debits are already set up on my original account. I can’t swap the DDs to the new account, because that would be a right old faff for not much gain, but I can’t use the second account for spending because I’d have to toggle the card over, and then my continuous payment authorities (bills like Netflix and Spotify) aren’t coming from my bills account.

Whilst it’s a technically neat invention, it doesn’t completely separate my committed spend from my elective spend.

So would love a more Monzo-esque Bills Space please, and a rolling month from my payday would be fantastic.

And a clever, integrated, offset ‘one-line-of-credit’ across the overdraft, credit card and loan would be awesome. Kthnxbye

3 Likes

Could they do this with just one hard credit file check? If it needed a new check every time you want to use a different credit type, I don’t see the benefit.

I don’t see why not. A hard check is really to show everyone else you’ve been checked by a certain company. So Starling could offer a £10,000 line of credit and portion that up over the three facilities how they like, using their existing overdraft slider in that case.

3 Likes

It would be great but it wouldn’t really be such a great deal. Their overdrafts are priced okay, but that same rate for loans would be a rubbish deal.

2 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Intelligent Finance