Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

If it’s truly urgent and the company are set up to deal with urgent things out of hours then someone will pick it up. If we aren’t and it isn’t, then it can certainly wait. If it cannot, then I’d log back on and claim overtime or TOIL

4 Likes

I’m not sure if that’s an exaggeration because internet, but if not, wooow!

1 Like

Which comment of the many?

This is just bonkers to me. If you logged back in (because you’d logged out early) and then wanted overtime/time off for 10 mins work, I’d want you gone!

3 Likes

You might want to double-check the terms of your employment because I guarantee they are absolutely not ‘You are paid for the presence of your company in our building between these hours’ and instead they are ‘your working hours are’. If you were routinely finishing work at 4.45 so you can walk out the door at 5pm and I was your manager, I would definitely be putting you on an formal improvement plan to stop that.

Where do you draw the line? "Oh - my commute to work is an hour and as that’s time spent ‘for work’ then those should also be covered by my working hours so I’ll set off for work at 9am and make sure I’m home again by 5pm "

3 Likes

Luckily we have employment laws which stop :poop: managers with attitudes, if they want you ready to go on the dot and it takes 10 mins to load said computer and systems they either pay you for your additional time, or the accept if you start at 9 it’ll be 10 past 9 by the time you’re ready to fully crack on with the day.

An employment tribunal would back that an all. If it’s just a case of your here at 9 and it takes seconds to log on, that’s not an issue.

4 Likes

I think you’re both taking my comment out of context. I tried to simplify but clearly that didn’t work so here we go.

Working hours includes any time when the worker is at the employer’s disposal and is expected to carry out activities or duties for the employer.

Setting up equipment necessary for my work counts as carrying out activities to duties for the employer. If they want me to not spend time on that, they can ensure that equipment is up and running at such time that my shift begins.

If my shift starts at 9, I will be at my laptop and ready to turn it on at 9. I won’t go for a coffee or gossip with colleagues at that time, I will have arrived 5 minutes early for that. If I didn’t want to arrive 5 mins early then I simply would avoid doing those things before I start work.

At the end of the day, if it takes 15 minutes to shut down equipment then it absolutely doesn’t matter what happens after you start the process – the equipment needs to be safely stopped and so it will be. But I don’t operate machinery, just a laptop, so for me it takes 30 seconds. I shut it down at 4.59, and put it away at 5 and am out the door at 5.01.

If an emergency is flagged to me earlier in the day, then I will of course accommodate and stay behind as an exception and then arrange overtime with my manager. But if something comes in at 4.58, it will wait until the next time I log on unless it’s an emergency that could to loss of life or assets.

If it is a true emergency, then I’ll deal with it – and then discuss with my manager any overtime as appropriate. I have claimed overtime for 10 minutes in the past – and it was even encouraged. None of my employers ever had any concerns with my work ethic, thank you very much. Some of us don’t live to work, but rather work to live – and manage to do it professionally

11 Likes

If your contracted hours have you finish working at 5pm, and you work up do 5pm then stop and leave, that’s fine.

If your manager says this is a problem because tasks aren’t being handed over correctly, and you solve it by stopping your work at 4.45pm to properly hand over your duties/gracefully sign off? You are still working until 5pm.

(If you stop all work at 4.30pm and spend the last half-hour having a snack, packing your bag, and doing the newspaper crossword puzzle while you wait for the clock to hit 5pm so you can rush out of the building? Then you’re taking the piss.)

But if you’re still carrying out your duties, you’re still carrying out your duties. And anyone who has a view on this who isn’t your manager? They can keep their views to themselves.

9 Likes

Me reading all this during work hours

Stanley Hudson GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

21 Likes

Sometimes I wonder just how much of my time I spend doing things unpaid. I have to be ready to immediately start working on the dot when my shift starts.

But before then I need to be changed into uniform (which can’t be done at home), signed in, logged into my computer, logged into 6 different systems on three different machines and as such I basically arrive at work close to 45 mins before my shift begins. That’s each and every shift.

Even when I finish it’s a good 15 mins to be able to actually get fully changed.

Of course we do it because… well because. But honestly if I had faster “setup” it would be better!

5 Likes

I’ve always taken the view that machine start up is part of your working time.

I appreciate that some jobs hours and shifts are important, I just feel fortunate that where I work and the type of role I have is results driven rather than hours worked.

It’s a mantra I drum into the teams I lead, but I know that approach doesn’t or can’t work everywhere.

2 Likes

What happens when staying on later than your contracted hours are unavoidable?
I would hope most employers are reasonable enough to either pay you for the extra time, or let you take any time owed back :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m of the philosophy I’m at my desk at start time, if it takes 20 minutes to get setup that’s the companies problem.

Work to live, don’t live to work.

They think I’m great though as I don’t drink coffee so never take a coffee break, don’t smoke and are happy for me to work through lunch and take some time back or a longer lunch/early finish other days. Come 5 though I like to be on the way out but if something comes up I’ll stay behind again for the time back.

With holiday they know unless the building is actually on fire I’m not answering, all notifications off and work doesn’t exist.

Give and take.

6 Likes

I literally can’t count the start up time as time because someone always has to literally be manning a radio channel sadly.

If I stay later though I’m fortunate it can be counted as well paid overtime. Though it really never happens

2 Likes

Meanwhile . . . . . any Starling news? :thinking: :rofl:

I have had the app update twice in 24 hours, with same notes, and no obvious difference in versions.

Android.

1 Like

Does anyone do Starling teardowns? :eyes:

1 Like

Does anyone do Starling teardowns? :eyes:

Not going to lie, you could make a pretty penny diffing competitors apps and making reports for companies, a good startup idea :eyes:

5 Likes

Hmmm…

1 Like

Calling @davidwalton

4 Likes

Nope :expressionless:. I only making printscreens :sweat_smile:

3 Likes